Wednesday 27 July 2005

Question for the RMT Union.

Reader's letter, Herald Express

NOT READY TO RETIRE - AT 71

27 July 2005

I am tired of the continued prattle concerning the age of retirement - the horror that we might be asked to work a few months longer than the stipulated 65 years retirement age.
I commenced work on July 26, 1950, and have been continuously employed ever since. I have normally worked 12 hours a day for six of the seven days each week, for years on end, as a travel agent, bus company operator and now bus driver for Stagecoach.
Having survived a "tin hip" and cancer of the lymph glands, I handed my company over to my daughter to run.This caused me to have time on my hands, so I looked for something to do.At the age of 70, I approached Stagecoach in Exeter for employment as a "casual" bus driver.
I was appointed initially with the idea of driving for two or three days each week.There was and is, a shortage of drivers, so I found myself working 13-day fortnights, six days a week or sometimes 55 hours a week.
My only complaint is when the work is not available.This, at the age of 71, I am still undertaking.In my situation I just fill up the "blanks" when someone fails to report, or there are advanced warnings of staff shortages during any day.
What has this country developed? A generation of wimps?For me, retirement is the first step to a premature death and I am not ready to do that just yet.

ALAN W PARTRIDGE South Devon.

I seem to remember not so long ago two drivers at Torquay Depot wanting to drive on after 65 but were forced out by the Union. Can some one tell me why they had to leave and the above gentleman (good luck to him) can start work for the company at 70 years of age?

No comments: