Monday 7 November 2005

Danger; Road Works Signs Ahead.


I am sure that some where in the Misery of Transport there are guide lines for placing warning signs for road works. How far from the road works, how many signs, what size etc etc.

I am equally sure that there is nothing in those guide lines that the road work warning signs must be placed in a DANGEROUS place. I mean, The Ministry of Transport don't want us to have RTCs do they?

Well the road where the sign is placed is 19 feet wide. That's 9 Ft 6 ins for me and 9 Ft 6 ins for the lunatic just about to come round the bend on the right on two wheels at as close to light speed as he/she can get. Given that a bus is 8 feet 4 inches wide and the sign is 2 feet wide I have no need of a degree in Higher Maths to work out that I am going to be over the centre of the road 10 feet from a blind bend. Either that or I can stop and wait for the road works to go away, which in Torquay could take several months, if you are lucky.


PS One of the reasons I am scarred of this junction is because of Hyde Road. On the left of Hyde Rd is one hour parking. On the right are double yellow lines on which blue badge holders park for up to 3 hours for free. They do so to avoid paying the fee in the very handy car park. This makes for very slow going in Hyde Rd and motorists make up for lost time on the first clear road they see.Click for a letter in the Herald Express re Blue Badge Holders.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But i guess the most important thing is the fact that the footpath is not blocked by a sign. This is helpful as it allows the occassional (about once a year) wheelchair or pram to use the footpath. Even more important it allows these saftey partnerships to park there tallivans on the footpaths to improve saftey.

MatGB said...

That junction is my most hated bit of Paignton. I work 5 minutes walk from there, and driving around it always scares me, but if you slow down too much, people behind complain. Can't win.

That is a stupid place to put a sign. Still, it's not as bad as Torquay next to the Grand, I'm sure I didn't see any warnings...