Tuesday 20 December 2005

Bus Stops

You're driving along without a care in the world when suddenly a voice is heard to cry in desperation"You've gone past my stop." It happens now and then, you get distracted and forget the bell has been rung or you didn't hear the bell in the first place. Usually you pull up at the first reasonably safe place and let the passenger off the bus at the same time saying sorry about 17 times. Well I do, other drivers may have different ideas.

But in the last few months this has happened 5 times and not for the above reasons. Yesterday I was driving up the Grand Canyon heading for Brixham. There is a stop at the YMCA. I mean there was. It's not there now. Has the stop turned in to a triffid and up rooted and moved some where more interesting? Have a gang of drunken rugby players stolen it and are now using it for what ever dark purpose drunken rugby players do with stolen bus stops? Or have the council moved it and not told anyone. (Note bus stops are a council matter) My guess is the council.

No problem for my passenger, a little, dear sweet old lady. She ended up closer to home. However when I mentioned the changed site of the stop, one driver, new to the twelves said he had heard the bell and driven along looking for the stop and had ended up at Waterside, over 1/2 a mile down the road. His dear sweet little old lady was not best pleased, especially as it was raining cats and dogs at the time.

As well as this walking bus stop there have been 5 new bus stops put up and the only way I have found them is the a passenger saying, "You've gone past my stop." Or in one case a passenger jumping out in front of me with arm out streched. I mean when you have driven a route 2 or 3 times you do look out for bus stops but after 10 000 time along the same route you tend not to bother.

1 comment:

MatGB said...

I know that feeling, changing bus stops is really annoying, I give directions to 'the closest bus stop' and it's gone again. You'd think given the tourist economy the council would manage to tell yourselves and the tourist sector at least? Ah well.

Anyway... You're in Monday's Independent:
http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article334066.ece, article written by Tim Worstall, who was born here as well.

Also, Chris from Strange_stuff and I met up last week, decided to set up a local news & events blog, torbaylife.blogspot.com wondered if you'd like to make the occasional contribution? If so, let me know, matbowles at gmail dot com

No specific plans what to do with it yet, but local coverage seems like a good idea, and we do like this place, else we wouldn't still live here.