Friday 29 September 2006

Cockington Village

Cockington Forge

Cockington Village is one of Torbay's many attractions and to day in the interest of customer care I paid the place a visit. It dates back to and was mentioned in the Doomsday Book and is a small village that has retained thatched roofs and old world charm. Click here to read what BBC Radio Devon has to say about the place.
When I first arrived in Torquay and started driving a bus the driver who showed me the 12 route on my first day pointed out Cockington Lane and mentioned that Cockington Village was down that way. I had never heard of Cockington but soon realised that it was a place of interest when holiday people began asking me if we went there. The roads are a bit to small for double decker buses but I was able to tell them that they could either catch a mini bus which did nothing but run between Torquay and Cockington from outside the Pavilion or they could catch the 12/12A and get of at the Livermead Cliff Hotel and it was but short walk. For the first couple of years I must have told hundreds of passengers it was 10 minutes. Then one day I took a couple and droped them of at the end of the lane."It's up that lane, about 10 minutes." I said as I pointed at Cockington Lane.
About three hours later I picked them up on the way back to Torquay and he told me off and explained it was more like 20 minutes. So I now know it is about 20, or even 30 if you dont hurry. Which is what I tell the passengers. Also it is a nice walk, reasonably flat and tree lined with birds singing in the trees with the occasional bench if, like me a rest is required. So to all those people I misled I am sorry, but I am sure you all enjoyed the trip to Cockington.


For a few more photos from Cockington just click here

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I come visit? It looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are just great. I'm definitely coming to visit. Put the kettle on....in 2007-8!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, it looks lovely!

Beautiful

Anonymous said...

as a 12 driver i've always said that to get to cockington is about a mile's walk so now i know better cheers dave!!

Anonymous said...

Me? I have the photographic evidence ... I visited Cockington Forge as a sub-1 year old infant in 1954...now I schedule buses! (10 minutes = 20 minutes in reality - Cause and effect?)

I have inherited my parents piccies and have to say it looks as beautiful now as it was then...

Incidentally I've twice tried to post comments on Jon Nelsons site but unfortunately nothing happens...Jon if you're reading this I wasn't accusing YOU of taking up bandwidth, but merely apologising for ME doing that same thing...

Scheduler

Unknown said...

I'm a bus rider from Phoenix, Arizona, USA and have kept a blog about my daily ride for over a year. I just found your blog today and it is delightful. It's so great to get the driver's side of the bus story. Your pictures are wonderful and make me want to visit. Keep up the writing and photography.

My blog: http://febber.blogspot.com

Jenn said...

The pictures are beautiful. That would be such a nice place to live in. I came across your blog while doing research for my undergraduate thesis work... I'm trying to make some improvements to Toronto's transit system, so it's nice to get different opinions on transit worldwide. I also drove a bus, but only for a summer. It's good to get other driving opinions :)