Tuesday 26 September 2006

The Long way to Torquay

One of those little things to day that always leaves me a little upset. For two reasons, the first should be obvious, the second slightly less so.

On Paignton Bus Station there are two bus stops for the 12. One is on stand M and goes to Brixham, takes 20 mins. The board above the stop clearly states that this is the stop for Brixham. The other is on stand Q and goes to Torquay and Newton Abbot. The board above stand Q clearly states this. The trip to Torquay takes 20 mins and all the way to Newton is an hour. To day I pulled in on stand M on my way to Brixham and lots of passengers got on. Most of then had some kind of ticket, either a day or a weekly ticket. A few bought tickets. When I got to the terminus at Bank Lane Brixham the passengers all got off except one lady. I asked here where she wanted, "Torquay." She had waited at the wrong stop. She now had a journey of 40 mins on top of the 20 she had already been on the bus.

Please; if you are not sure, be brave, ask the driver where the bus is going, we won't bite, well most of us won't any way, but you could save your self loads of time......

Part of the problem, which I have mentioned before is the fact that when I depart Newton Abbot for Brixham I have on the front of the bus the number 12 and Brixham in large letters. Scrolling across under this is 'Via Torquay and Paignton.' When I get to Paignton and pull up on stand M it still says 'Via Torquay and Paignton.' I have already been to Torquay, but it still says Torquay. Bit of a problem here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was it the old timers used to say about destinations? Something like: "It says Leyland on the front and we don't go THERE either!"

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it just be better to create more bus numbers? After all, numbers are not in short supply. Life would be so much easier for passengers.