Tuesday 12 September 2006

Three Days Off

I have just had three days off. Once every 4 weeks I get a long weekend. Usually I work the Saturday and some times even the Sunday but it has been a long season and I felt like having all three days without driving a bus which is why there has been no post for three days. Anyway back to work to day and a very boring day it was. I have nothing against boring now and then. True it might get boring in the end, but now and then it is fine. Lots of passengers but not much traffic. Which makes for an easy day. If you sit in any bus drivers canteen long enough some will say, "This would be a great job if it weren't for the passengers." (It's a joke by the way, with just a touch of irony so please don't write sarcastic comments). Actually what this time of year proves is the it is the traffic that we could do without.

The only point of contention with any passengers happened at South Devon College. To get to the college you drive down Long Road, round the roundabout and stop at the first stop if you are going to Paignton, Torquay and Newton. If you are going to Brixham you stop at the second stop. The third stop if you are going any where else. So at lunch time I stopped at the second stop and several people go on who wanted Paignton. I tried to explain that the first stop was for Paignton and this information was written on the bus stop but they pointed out that I had Paignton on the destination blind. This was true. I did but I wasn't going to Paignton, I had been to Paignton and was now going to Brixham which is the other way.

The problem is that when I leave Newton I change the blinds so the number, 12A and the main destination, Brixham are showing. To help passengers, underneath Brixham the words Via Torquay, Paignton, Roselands and South Devon College scroll across. When I get to the college they are still there and these passengers think I am going to Paignton. What they are there for is to tell people where the bus goes on it's complete trip. Regular bus users understand this but these students are using buses for the first time in their lives. Up till now they have been to school in the four wheel drive but now mother had decided that they are old enough to go out in the world on their own. Perhaps using a bus should be on the National Curriculum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and this is our future prime ministers doctors and what every they are going to be