Monday 9 October 2006

Cherston Village Crossroads


This set of crossroads is on the way to Brixham from Paignton. The road, as you can see is not very wide and the speed limit is 40 mph. The other problem is there are bends in the road just before the crossroad which ever way you approach so you can not see what is coming towards you for more than a couple of seconds. I have driven through there several thousand times but on Sunday, after a gentle walk along the beautiful Devon coast line, I was down there waiting for a bus. I decided that I would find out exactly how wide the road was. Just out of curiosity. I know it is wider than 16 foot 11 inches because I have been through there with a bus going the other way and we managed to scrape through. Sorry, we managed to get through without scraping any thing. Any way after watching the traffic for a little while I decided not to pace out the width of the road as I wished the rest of my life to be a little longer than 5 seconds

The road on the right, from Cherston Village, is one way. No one can come out of there on to the main road as they would have to move out about 5 feet in order to see what was coming. That doesn't stop them from trying now and then. So, it's just one of the little bits of excitement in and other wise dull day.

The one thing I did notice while I was waiting for a bus was how noisy it was with the cars flashing by at 40 mph every few seconds. A long way from the horse and cart days when the houses by the road were built.

One other thing. A driver did once tell me he was always worried about hitting the gutter on the house to the right of the bus. The photo shows that is not going to happen. You may hit the house but the gutter will survive. The bus probably wouldn't. Nor the house.

4 comments:

Steve said...

It looks like you need a big blindspot mirror on the wall opposite or, dare I say it, a set of traffic lights.

Anonymous said...

Nearly twenty years ago we used to have this old pub overhanging the road, in a village we used to serve - it was called the Five Bells - appropriately really, cos that's what we used to knock out of it every so often...

caramaena said...

Is it common to have houses right on the roads like that?

I can't imagine what it would be like to live in them - the noise would drive me nuts!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, American here...Eugene, Oregon,USA. I decided to look for Bus driver Blogs on google and you popped up first. Looks like you Have some narrow streets. I like your site. AS you probably know we dont run any stacker buses like you guys drive. For extra capacity we run what is called an "articulated" bus that run 60 ft long.
I like the story about the kid jumping from the Pedestrian overpass. You got to give him credit for balls!