Sunday 29 October 2006

Goodbye Summer Time.

I had a short day to day, start at 07:25 home by 14:30, open fridge, remove can of beer, drink can of beer, remove second can of beer, close fridge, switch computer on. So now it is 3 pm and the cat is looking at me as if I am a monster. He doesn't usually so I will explain. He usually gets fed at 4 pm but the clocks went back last night so I know it is 3 pm but Cat's internal clock, also known as his stomach believes it is 4 pm and he can not understand why I don't feed him.


An other couple who didn't reset their clocks came running up to the bus struggling with big suit cases in Brixham as I was just about to leave at 09:48 heading for Paignton. "Would the bus get to Paignton before 11 O Clock?" they wanted to know, as they had a coach to catch. Being a nasty sod I told them the journey time to Paignton was 20 mins. They looked a bit dismayed by this piece of information. Then after a suitable pause I told them I would be in Paignton for 8 mins past ten so they would have plenty of time to go for a cup of coffee. Then the penny dropped. I expect they enjoyed the coffee.

Footnote; To Tony Blair. Some thing to do before you go:-

Please get rid of this stupid twice year changing of the clocks and stay on summer time all year round. I know, we could call it British Standard Time. We tried it last century but it was abandoned as the Scots didn't like it. Dark till nine in the morning they said. Well they have their own Parliament now so they can have their own time as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I understand how you feel. Every Sunday night I chat with a friend in Manchester (I'm in NZ.) He comes on every Sunday at 8am and these changes mean that at my time (evening) I have to keep changing. We change to Daylight saving at a different time to you. Yesterday we got confused and I had to hang around two hours! Sometimes he goes to Spain, an hour ahead of UK - further confusion. - Dave.

Anonymous said...

I notice your clock on the right hand side shows Torquay Time which appears to be in a zone all of its own!!! As I write this at 1737 GMT (UTC) or 1837 BST if you prefer, your Torquay Time is displayed on my PC as 1237 (or should that be 0037?)

David said...

Well the clock on the computer says 00:05 and Torquay time agrees with that so may be there was a little glitch some where. Or Maybe Torquay is in a time zone all it's own.
Me: I vote for the latter of these two options.