Wednesday 17 January 2007

Car phone lay-bye and sweets


This car is parked in a bus stop. The thick yellow line on the left and the broken yellow lines on the right mark the extent of the bus stop. Under the bus I am on are the words BUS STOP in big yellow letters. As the car got there well before me the driver could not have failed to notice said words. (At least I hope he couldn't have failed to notice them). It used to be illegal to park a car on a bus stop even to do what he is doing which is using a mobile phone. However it isn't illegal any more as all bus stops are now car phone answering bays. It is just that the government haven't yet got round to painting that information on the bus stops up and down the country. Until they do maybe it still is illegal to stop in a bus stop to answer your phone. If you are reading this Tony, could you let me know. And could you let this car driver know as well.
The other little problem I had to day was due to my disregarding something my mother told me many years ago. A passenger got on the bus and as an extra reward for being such a good bus driver she gave me a packet of Werthers Original Toffees. Only 6 in the packet but then I ain't that good a bus driver (see post re bus shelter). But not some thing that usually I indulge in these days (on a diet). Later on in the day, whilst stuck in traffic up at South Devon College I decided to cheer myself up and treat myself to one of these little delights. Half way through I noticed that instead of being totally chewy, there was a distinct crunchy bit in there as well. Now if I had been eating a Lion Bar I wouldn't have worried, they are expected to crunch, Werthers Original aren't. So I discarded the remains of the toffee and explored to contents of my mouth with my tongue, paying close regard to the 29 no longer completely white bits of enamel that have been part of me for so long now. Well, there are only 28 and a half bits of not quite white enamel now. A filling that I have been carrying round with me since 1958 plus the side wall of a tooth I have had for even longer are now lying in the middle of Long Road by the traffic lights fixed to a half chewed piece of Werthers Original. There is no reward offered if you find the filling, I wasn't particularly fond of it, it just came in use now and then when ever I wanted to chew some thing. Now, too late I remember my mother saying something about sweets and strangers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They aren't just for using your mobile phone in, as I saw today when I pulled into the bus stop. A car parked in it with the woman driver putting her make-up on!

Anonymous said...

I suffered the same fate eating a Milky Bar of all things, when of an age one should definitely not prefer Milky Bars

love the blog btw