Tuesday 23 January 2007

Horlicks Ad

In yesterdays post I included a link to a TV ad. I had not followed it all the way to actually viewing the ad. I still haven't as you have to log in and pay to see it. Sorry about that as the ad isn't really that exciting. Not worth paying for. So if you haven't seen it it shows a bus driver at a bus stop looking in his rear view mirror. There is a woman with shopping bags running up to catch the bus. The driver waits until she is a few steps away from the door. Then he closes the door and drives away. A voice over asks,"How does he sleep at night?" Cut to driver at home drinking Horlicks, probably with a shot of whisky in it, just to kill the taste of the Horlicks you understand.

Now I am certain that any bus passengers out there will have had this happen. And some of the time it will be as shown in the ad. The driver could have waited but didn't. But there are times when the bus pulls away as you run up and the driver couldn't stop. He may not have seen you coming until after he started moving. Even then he might have stopped. But there are points when continuing is the only option on the grounds of road safety.

Such an incident happened to me the other day. I had taken over a bus on Cary Parade in Torquay. After I had programed the ticket machine and adjusted the seat I had 4 minutes to wait. Like I said, it's quiet at the moment. The passengers on the bus, if they are regular travellers know about timing points. But it can still be frustrating sitting there doing nothing. You could here the sigh of relief when I finally started the engine. Into gear, look round for anyone running up with shopping bags, check mirror, road clear, pull out and at that moment the two runners appeared round the corner waving. Did I stop? No. I had reached the point where I was committed to go. Well if looks could have killed, not only would I not be typing this but the intensity of the woman's stare would have wiped out all my passengers as well. I am not sure what the man was shouting at me but when I got to the terminus I had a look at the paint on the side of the bus to make sure it wasn't blistered. And the age of my missed passengers, well into their seventies. And the next bus is due in 7 minutes.

Next day who came running up to the bus just as I shut the door? I recognised them as the ran up waving madly. Did I pretend I hadn't seen them and drive away? No. Reason? I'm a nice guy and oh yes; I don't like Horlicks.

PS. For an update on the Napoli. It could be a year before it is cleared away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my experience, passengers are positively canny about hiding in the blind spot. It's almost as if they know it's there. I scan my mirrors thorougly before pulling out. If there's someone running, they're not in my mirrors.