Monday 8 January 2007

Preston Road Works (2)

The road works didn't get going until early afternoon and I went through from Paignton towards Torquay which wasn't too bad. However I would like to have hard words with whoever decided to allow parking on one side of the road through the diversion. This is what happened; some guy was heading for Paignton when he spotted a parking space so he stopped and tried to reverse into the space but he wasn't very good at reverse parking and took 3 attempts be for giving up and driving off. The next driver thought, "I can do better than that." and had a go. By this time the traffic was grid locked. Nothing was moving. True the second driver was better than the first and managed to end up parallel to the curb but about 2 feet from it. Result, the bus behind him could not get past as there was a 38 tonne truck coming the other way and it took several minutes while this mess was sorted. Then I had to pull into the bus stop which was full of no parking cones so I had to stop 2 feet from the curb. An other HGV was behind me and he pulled out a couple of feet to pass me and "Oh my God, Look what's coming the other way." HGV number 3. Result more grid lock. So come Torbay council, get a load of no parking cones from some where and and stop all parking through the diversion.

Some buses were delayed, I was about 15 minutes down at one point but I did hear on the radio that others were upto 30 minutes down. Why can't they do these road works on Christmas Day and Boxing Day when we don't run a bus service? Make it easier all round.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Great blog.

My job involves: 'encouraging and assisting community groups to get involved in transport planning and provision' in Manchester.

I hear lots of tales from the passengers side about buses, mostly bad (there are the occasional good ones too!) so finding your blog is great opportunity to 'see the other side'

I have added a link to your blog on www.transportpool.co.uk to give all my visitors a chance to hear a drivers perspective, hopefully it will help passengers understand that sometimes its not the drivers fault :)

Bill