Wednesday 28 February 2007

A Little Baffled To Day

Normal sort of day, rain with the odd dry spell but should get better by weekend. Well I went into Newton Abbot about 11.15 this morning and a lady with a County Wide pass got on and asked for a ticket to Brixham. As I was driving a 12A I advised her to catch the Number 12 that was right behind me as it took the shorter route to Brixham. She assured me that she was in no hurry and didn't mind the longer journey. An hour later when we got to Paignton there was a 12 heading to Brixham at the stop next to us. I had a few minutes waiting time in Paignton and after the 12 had gone she came up to me and asked if I would be in Brixham before 1 00 pm. I checked the running board and told her that we would arrive in Brixham at 1 00 pm. This concerned her and I told her that the next 12 would get to Brixham 15 minutes before me so she went and waited for the next 12. If she had got the 12 behind me in Newton as I suggested she would have been in Brixham by 12 30. Then a couple boarded the the bus, he said his wife had the tickets, she pulled out a purse that had more compartments than politicians have excuses. After spending what seemed like several eons searching all the compartments for the said tickets he started shouting at her for loosing the tickets and stormed of the the bus and down the bus station, probably heading for the nearest pub. She went after him like a hyena after a wounded wildebeest. What was baffling here you ask? In one of the searched compartments in her purse were two County Wide Passes, both of which she opened and I could see one was hers and one was his. All they had to do was show me the passes and tell me where they were going and two free tickets would have emerged from the ticket machine at a speed close to that of light. But they wouldn't have any truck with that idea when I suggested it.

A bit later on I was heading out of Torquay towards Newton. As the route goes past Torre Station the road becomes two lane up to the lights at Shiphay Lane, then 30 yards after the lights it narrows down to one lane with the vehicles in the outside lane moving into the left lane. There are always those who use this spot to engage in the non-Olympic sport(1) of 'Getting in front of the bus no matter what the risk.' They come up on the outside and continue on the outside even though they have long since past the point they should have moved in. Now to get in they will have to force their way in by forcing me to brake hard or crash into them. Most points are scored by the drivers who go the furthest past the point they should have moved in, extra points are scored the harder the bus has to brake and bonus points are awarded to those who risk £25 000 cars that only came out of the show room yesterday. Anyone one a 20 year old Transit Van is ineligible for bonus points. Discretionary Bonus Points would most certainly have been showered generously on the driver who past me there to day. Not only did he make an almost record distance, as well as pressing fairly firmly on the brakes I also turned the wheel and ended 2 inches from the curb, his 9 seat people carrier was brand spanking new and for the extra points he had his wife in the front seat, 3 children in the middle row and baby and grandmother siting in the back row. Maybe he doesn't like them. What really baffles me about this sport at this spot is 2 things. 50 yards further on is a bus stop. When I stop, all may pass safely (maybe that's too tame). And if I didn't stop at the bus stop, 200 yards further on a stretch of dual carriageway where all but drivers of milk floats may pass the bus with complete ease (too easy?).

Next came 2 minutes later. As I approached the stop at Cadewell Lane I could see that there was no one at the stop and no one had rung the bell. As I got nearer to the stop I was aware that mother and two children were trying to cross the road on the right hand side, they were a 100 yards away when I first noticed them but there was traffic coming towards me preventing them from crossing. No one behind me so when I had gone they would have a clear road. They were a traffic hazard, you never know, one of the children could suddenly decide to run for it. So I kept an eye on them. It was only as I went past did mother decide to tell me she wanted the bus by putting her arm out. Sorry; no chance. Five seconds sooner, arm out, me pulled up at bus stop, them cross road, get on bus. Now I know that from her point of view it was obvious she wanted the bus. Why else would she be crossing the road near a bus stop. I know that now but as I approached, she was crossing the road to get to the other side. Remember as you drive down a road half the Universe is on the left and the other half is on the right. My bus is such a small part of the Universe and my ego isn't so large as to think that with half the Universe to choose from you actually want me. If you do; Please put your hand out.

The last thing that baffled me today was how come I always seem to spend 10 minutes waiting in the fuel line when I bring a bus into the garage in the evening.

None of these thing baffle me as much as Quantum Physics, but a few years and countless hours of study and I might begin to see the light at the beginning of the tunnel re Quantum Physics, the above; No.

Foot Note (1) The reason it isn't an Olympic Sport is because there would be just too many competitors.

No comments: