Thursday 1 February 2007

Why wont this bus start?

Now and then I have a little moan about drivers leaving engines running when waiting time. Some drivers will not switch the engines off when at a terminus or waiting time and I can not understand why. After all it is just a case of turning a switch and the engine stops and when ready to go again turn the same switch and the engine starts. Maybe I get upset about this problem because years ago I lived across the road from a bus terminus and every now and then a bus would turn up and the engine would stay on. There in the background it would thump away getting louder and louder every second, building up to the point where I was just about to get the baseball bat out and go and smash a few expensive bus windows just to make a point. Then the bus would drive away. In the end I rang the bus company, Selnec for those with longish memories. I was told that mine was not the first complaint and a notice would shortly be going up instructing drivers to switch off the engine when waiting time and would I ring and let them know if any drivers didn't switch engines off. The notice seemed to work.

Since I became a bus drive I have remembered the times when the bus engines would drown out the TV and have always switched the engine off when waiting time. I have asked drivers who don't, why not. The most common answer is, "It might not start again." My answer has always been, "So. You get half an hours extra rest while the fitters come out and get the bus going again."

Today I got my half hour's extra rest. I went into Paignton Bus Station and had 3 minutes to wait so switched the engine off. (Note; this also helps save the planet as well as all those expensive windows) Time to go. Well the starter motor turned but did not engage. Fortunately there was an other bus in 8 minutes so the passengers did not have to wait too long. Sorry to those who did have to wait though.

It is the first time in well over two years I have had this happen but I will still continue to switch the engine off when waiting time. It did inconvenience about 20 passengers but leaving it running can upset everyone who lives within 50 metres of a bus terminus up to 100 times a day on a busy route like the 12/12A.

PS I only wish it had happened at 3pm instead of 11am. I would have missed my school run, don't you just love school runs?

PPS Werther is still traveling on the bus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was told to keep it running because shutting off and restarting a diesel engine wastes a lot more fuel than leaving it run. On the other hand, I was told to shut it off because it makes a racket and is a nuisance.

The part about wasting fuel is not urban mythology. I worked in a factory that made locomotive engines. Locomotives are started at the factory and not shut off until it is time for major engine overhauls. They are sometimes left running for years. That, in any event, is what they told us at the factory.

Jimmy said...

I always turn the engine of if I'm waiting for more than two minutes, it's just considerate for the houses or shops I'm parked outside of, the down side is the sign on the front (electronc) goes blank and people keep asking me where I'm going.