Saturday 24 March 2007

Around Torbay

There have been one or two, or even more articles and letters in the local paper over the last few days re old dears queueing for hours in the cold and wet to change their bus passes. Indeed I have reported such queues here on this blog. So in the interest of research and empathy with the waiting masses I decided to go down to the Stagecoach Travel Shop on the Harbour Side today with a view to changing my pass. Providing the queue was down to less than 200. I did cheat a little, it was a lovely sunny warm day and instead of turning up at a quarter to nine in the morning, I got there at 3:30. In the afternoon I should point out. I didn't spend several hours in a sleeping bag on the pavement waiting, shivering, for the shop to open. So what was there when I turned up? Massive queue, hours spent reminiscing with 80 year olds about the queues we used to get during the war, Salvation Army Cadets handing out warming cups of Bovril,old dears banging their walking sticks on the windows of the Travel Shop and threatening to write nasty letters to the Editor. No, sorry. I walked into the shop and three charming and very helpful members of staff (see below) waiting to help me fill in the application form, take my photo and give me the above pass. Took about two minutes from start to finish. So now I can travel free round the Bay on any bus that turns up. Aren't Torbay Council wonderful. And Stagecoach Devon for providing the staff and shop to assist in the changes.



Rushed of their feet, aren't they?


I was there for about 20 minutes and in that time they deal with about 5 people, the moral of the story seems to be don't turn up on hour one, day one; wait a few days and it will all calm down.

5 comments:

pandop said...

Well yes - but you should know by now that no old dear will ever take that advice.

They might run out of passes, dontchaknow.

David said...

Yes Hazel I do know. I have driven past countless Post Offices at 8:30 on a Thursday morning and seen all those old dears waiting to get their pension. I have even had old dears trying to use their bus passes (which don't start till nine) so they can go collect their pension. The post office may run out of money.

pandop said...

Here in West Yorkshire the bus passes don't start until 9.30am - it must drive them mad.
So any time after about 9.20 or so the bus starts getting stopped by old dears asking 'am I too early' (otherwise know as 'twearlies')

Anonymous said...

completely different day today dave (monday) we didn't stop from 09.10-16.30 the only time we managed was when torbay council officials came in & offered some assistance for our half hour lunch break at half past two!!!

David said...

I went in the library at lunch time, there was a big queue there and had been all day. Only five more days to go to the big day.
David