Tuesday 6 March 2007

Not too well.

I have not been 100% for the last few days. I have been so so at work but buy the time I have been getting home it has been a case of eating my supper and slumping down in front of the TV. No that there has been any thing special on, in fact if I see an other wildebeest eaten by a crocodile or polar bear tear apart a penguin I might just go down to Blockbusters and get Nightmare on Elm Street out. One day at work over the weekend I was so listless that I told a passenger who asked me what bus went to St Marychurch that I was very sorry but I had never heard of St Marychurch.
Now if you know Torquay who will know how outrageous that was. If you don't then it would be like a Sydney bus driver saying, "Opera House. What Opera House?" or a New York bus driver saying, "The Empire State what? Or a Manchester bus driver saying, "Piccadilly Gardens, no mate. Can't picture them."
Just in case you haven't any idea what Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester look like; here is a picture.


So anyway, I came home to night determined not to end up slumped in front of the telly. So here I am, slumped in front of the computer. What to write about? Rain, and more rain, and still it rains. After two very dry winters we are making up for it. What else, oh yes, remember the bus stop that was moved a hundred yards up the road last year. As I approached the old stop the bell had gone. Standing at the old stop were a couple who obviously wanted the bus, they put their arms out, Bless. But we can't stop there, the council say it is dangerous. Simultaneously a voice in my ear said, "I wanted that stop." So I stopped at the new stop explained about the move and let the passenger of and waited for the couple waiting at the wrong place to turn up at the right place. I mean I had pointed up towards the new stop as I went past. They mustn't have believed me as they didn't turn up so I went on without them. It had stopped raining but soon started again. Probably the most exciting thing so far this week was when the temporary traffic lights at the road works in Newton were moved. Caused a little bit of a delay for an hour. Oh yes, one of our drivers was interviewed on Radio Gemini, one of our local radio stations. The interview was about using Mobile phones when driving and the station wanted a professional driver's point of view. And they asked a bus driver. Good for them. Go for the best I always say. Or it could be their main office is just a few doors down from our rest room.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't have the flu David. Take care and thanks for the post.

Martin

Anonymous said...

I am bus driver in Cornwall, I really enjoy your blog. Ever heard of Western Greyhound?

Anonymous said...

The Empire State Building, New York.

The Opera House, Sydney.

Both distinctive landmarks that define a country.

Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester.

What a dump!

David said...

40 years ago when I lived in Manchester Piccadilly Gardens was nice relaxing place in the centre of town. Now as you say; What a dump. I have got even worse pictures of the "gardens" but not for publication.