Friday 9 March 2007

Please stop talking while I am trying to help you.

I went into Brixham this afternoon and I had a need to go to the toilet. So when all the passengers had left the bus I removed the module and cash tray and headed for the loo. A lady passenger stopped me and asked me how long it was before I left. 5 minutes. She had a problem. Now I knew what the problem was as she had already spoken to one of the drivers who had been in Brixham 15 minutes before and he had called control on the radio for their assistance. She had them walked away. She then tried to tell me her problem but I had to point out that I too had a small problem with a full bladder and my problem couldn't wait but would be dealt with very briefly. She still tried to explain her problem, no doubt so I would have something to think about while I was changing the size of my bladder. Let me assure you, there is only one thing I think about while carrying out this exercise, Relief.

When I got back she took two thousand six hundred and seventeen words to explain her problem. I could have done it in 15. I told her that I would have to get on to Control for their instruction as the problem wasn't covered in my rule book. All the time I was trying to raise Control and when I was trying to explain the problem to control she continued explaining the problem. Even when control came up with a solution she continued explaining. I pointed out I was now 5 minutes late and would she mind going and sitting down she continued rabbiting on directly down my ear. Eventually she took the hint and went and sat down. For the next ten minutes she explained her problem to a little old lady sitting near her. In the end the little old lady got of at Windy Corner and I know she had a ticket for the zoo, 15 minutes further on. The little old lady must have decided it was worth standing 15 minutes in the cool wind for the next bus just for a bit of piece and quiet.

I had a minute to wait when I got to Torquay but it still took me 3 minutes to get away, and all I did was tell her what the fare from Torquay to Brixham was. All she did was tell me her life story, the short version fortunately.

1 comment:

Steve said...

That reminds me of a guy I used work with who would get talking to someone and couldn't tell when they were getting bored. I mean really, really bored, but too polite to tell him to go away. They couldn't just walk away because he'd follow them.

Anyway, whenever I got the chance, I would stand behind him in the line of sight of whoever he was boring at the time and pull faces at him.

Watching the expressions as they tried not to burst out laughing was classic.