Wednesday 11 April 2007

Around Torbay.

Before we had free bus passes for pensioners we had the Devon Wide scheme which allowed holders of Devon Wide passes to travel for half fare after 8:45. As you drove along after 8:30 there would be little groups of old dears stood at the bus stops hoping the driver would let them on a few minutes early. I am a hard sod and never would. Them came the free bus passes and the time they could be used became 9:00 and the little groups of hopeful old dears would start forming at 8:45. I still wouldn't let them on. On pass holder wanted to get on at 10 to nine and when I wouldn't let him on he complained that he would be late for work! He did get invited to get on the bus but only if he actually took some money out of his pocket and bought a ticket. He decide he would sooner be late for work. What an excuse that would be when the boss asked why you were late for work, "The bus driver expected me to pay my fare. I am sorry but I now expect the tax payer to do that for me."

Now under the Around Torbay scheme the time is 9:30. Yesterday I took over a bus on the Strand at 9:33 and the first 20 people who got on the bus were freebies. There was also a comment I heard over the radio from the driver of the 22 service that runs in Brixham that he had a full standing load and was leaving people behind. If I leave behind it isn't much of a problem, there will be an other bus in 7 or 8 minutes. If the 22 leaves behind it is 30 mins before the next bus. It would appear we have two morning rush hours. God knows, but doesn't care, what's going to happen next April when this free bus scheme become Nation Wide.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In all the years I've been driving buses, I've never worked out why they have to catch that first bus at 9.00am. There's always crowds of them. They then start complaining because they cant get on as your full up.

Anonymous said...

That's why the oldies got to be called "twirlies" in my area....

Bus stops & the people trying to get to work are bashed out of the way by the combined zimmer frames as they charge on board!!!

Bus driver points out that it's before nine & they troop off to the cry of: "What do you mean it's twirlie (i.e. too early).

David.

Anonymous said...

Ive had this all week with the Duties I've been on. I had a couple try at 8:05am on Tuesday! Needless to say they were left behind as they didn't want to cough up the £2 each fare. I don't understand why they need to be at the shops for the minute they open.. Is it incase the shops run out of everything by 9:10?