Friday 22 June 2007

How to Bring Sherborne Road to a Standstill.

First of all find a truck unloading and then get some one with a disabled badge to park 8 feet 1 inch away from the truck. It really does help if you are aproaching some temporary traffic lights, actually I am beginning to believe these lights are permanent as they have been there since last October and Devon County Council told me 6 months ago they would be gone by April. So here I am unable to go any where and as you can see in the second photo lots of car drivers who can't go any whereeither. After I had taken the photos I decided to try and get us out of the situation. The truck driver had moved but that didn't help much so I asked the car drivers to turn into the road on their right and signaled a van driver to wait at the top of the road until I had gone. The road on the right only brings you back to where you started from but it would mean I could move and that would unblock the road. Did the van driver wait? What do you think? When he got to where the bus was blocking the road he told me to fuck off. At that moment a police car joined the waiting masses trying to make me disappear by magic, what you do is bang on your steering wheel while chanting the incantation, "Why doesn't that f**king bus piss off?" Frothing slighly at the mouth at the same time is supposed to help. Well let me tell you; it doesn't work.

Me, being young and naive expected the police office to jump bright eyed and uniform pressed from her patrol car and clear the mess up speedily in a way that demonstrated her extensive, high quality training that the tax payers pay for knowing the are going to get great value for their tax pounds. Finally I gave up waiting, if I hadn't we would have all been there still. I went to the car behind the police car and explained that the road was blocked so he reversed and vanished into the sunlight. Then I explained the our lady in blue who yawned and with some reluctance admitted she would have to reverse and before I went would I mind showing her how to get reverse as she usually didn't bother with such mundane things. The cars in front of her didn't need anything explaining and reversed as soon as the officer had gone and I was able to get on my way, as was the swearing van driver.
When I have got a spare minute I think I will email Devon County Council again and ask then did they mean April 2007 or was that a misprint?

7 comments:

Arriva Driver said...

I hope you didnt leave the engine running whilst you got out David!

That first picture looks like a joke

The focus seems to the problem. Disbaled badge users sometimes park in the worst places, yet because they have that badge, if you so much as question it, you can be sued...

When I see thing like that, I sometimes wish a fire engine needed to get through, afterall, they would just roll that Focus off the road.

Steve said...

Having been on buses recently that have broken mirrors on trees and skidded to a stop behind cars and trucks that stopped unexpectedly, I've got to wonder, what's the problem with scratching some ignorant (selfish) person's car that is blocking that much traffic?

Anonymous said...

The standard of driving in this country can be put down to one thing, and one thing only.

Is it just my imagination, or....

did Kelloggs enclose a driving licence in every pack of cornflakes between 1995 and 2006?

Anonymous said...

Why not go into print?

An article in the local press (with pictures) might tweek a conscience or two.

Em's way said...

Out of interest, did you see the two vehicles question park ? If not is it not possible that the disabled driver was there first ??

Of course if they did park there after the lorry then fair enough they deserve to be slated. Send them to that charming MP Anthony Steen !!!

The Captain said...

You should have insisted that officer sorted it out.

Arriva Driver said...

The focus is still wrong in every way.

Parking on part of the road with double yellow (fair enough disabled pass), but exactly at the point where the road narrows, leaving the backend sticking out like that it was always causing its own problem anyway.

Double yellows usually mean not to park there for a reason, common sense usually.