Friday 13 July 2007

Long Road Road Works Done at Long Last.

Here it is at last. The £430 000 road improvement scheme at the junction of Long Road and the Ring Road. Designed to improve traffic flow from the Ring Road into Long Road. I never drive along the Ring road so I have no idea if this money has been well spent. Some how I doubt it. Started in December to take 13 weeks. And it is finally finished. Twenty one weeks behind schedule. It had been going on so long I expected the Mayor to turn up, cut a ribbon and declare the junction, "Well and truly open." "At long last."
But he didn't.
Next up of course is resurfacing Long Road it's self which is about as rough as a ploughed field on a frosty morning. An other big job which should take about a week but if this junction is anything to go by, it could take months. It used to amaze me, I would drive up to the junction heading for South Devon College and twenty work persons would be beavering away like they loved their jobs more than anything else in the world. Ten minutes later, back up from the college and they'd be gone, as if the Doctor had turned up with his Tardis and taken them for a quick trip through time to look at great road works from history. Well if he did I wish he had taken them to have a look at Roman road builders. A mile a day or one in ten of them got crucified. That's what I call an incentive to finish on time.

No comments: