Thursday 6 September 2007

Bits.


A little unpleasant incident on the bus today. One that happens but only rarely, three times so far in ten years. I took over the bus in Paignton heading for Torquay and Newton with about 40 passengers. Most got off in Torquay and I continued on to Newton. I suspect the deed had been done by this time but I am not sure. In Newton a couple boarded the bus for Paignton and the gentleman came down stairs and gave me the bad news. Some one had been sick up stairs. I had a look and used some ticket feed to put a police line don't cross style barrier across the seats affected and advised passengers as they boarded of the problem. I did pick up about 40 more passengers as I headed down towards the depot on the Newton Road where a replacement bus awaited me. It was a hot day today, up to 24C and the bus was getting a little smelly by the time I got there and transferred to a nice clean bus to continue the journey.


Now I can understand why some one who has been sick on a bus may not wish to tell the driver that they have been sick, a bit embarrassing to say the least. But what they could do when they are getting of the bus is say to the driver, "I am sorry driver but I think some one has been sick on your bus." The sooner I know about it the quicker I can do some thing about it and it get less chance to start to smell.


The other little problem I came across to day was on the Stagecoach in Devon web site where the timetables are kept. At the moment the 12A runs from South Devon College to Brixham every 15 minutes. From 30 September it will still leave the College every 15 minutes but only every other bus will make it to Brixham and the others will only get as far as Roselands. They wont even connect with a bus that does get to Brixham. So, if you are driving the Roseland’s bus when you get to the College then you will have to explain to some one who may have already been waiting up to 15 minutes for a bus to Brixham that they will have to wait an other 15 minutes or catch the bus to Roseland and then walk down to the main road, 5 minutes, and wait for a 12 going to Brixham. Possibly an other 15 minutes wait. I am really looking forward to that experience.


To end on a bright note, the temperature got to 24C today and the good weather looks set to stay good for several days yet.


A bit of wild life in the garden this morning. As you can see I am not as enthusiastic about gardening as I am about bus stops.

5 comments:

Your driver said...

Completely off topic: I just learned that Basil Fawlty was based on a real hotelier in Torquay.

Anonymous said...

I have started a new blog at generalbyadam.blogspot.com to do with public transport in cambridgeshire, please have a look

Anonymous said...

If you go to the Pet Store next to Staples you can buy Spike's Dinner which the hedgehogs love. We have at least four that visit our garden for their "dinner" as we have seen them altogether around the dishes. We started with one dish, but are now up to three as they squabble, just like kids!
Sorry to hear about your messy bus, hope it doesn't happen too often.

David said...

Some years ago I decided to clear out the garden shed. I had just started and I found a hibernating heagehog. I am greatful to that little guy, he saved me a lot of hard work. Well I couldn't disturb him could I?

Basil Fawltey would have taken him straight down to the council tip.

cogidubnus said...

No...Basil Fawlty would've inserted him into an Irish gardener