Monday 1 October 2007

Computers; Love them, Hate them.

Yesterday my computer crashed. Now if I had said my bus crashed that would be a different thing entirely but my computer is not in the habit of jumping red lights or speeding or hitting cars that do U turns in front of it or any of those things that lead to crashs so what I mean is it wouldn’t work. Now when a bus breaks down I know what to do. I turn everything off and wait 2 minutes and try again. Well I did that with the computer and it still didn’t work, like the bus with a puncture. After I have turned everything of on the bus and tried again I get on the radio and explain the problem to control and sit back and wait for them to do something about it. I’m sorry for the passengers on the bus, they will have to wait for the next bus, I feel sorry for the passengers waiting down the line, they will have to wait a bit longer, I feel sorry for the bus driver behind, he will have to carry my passengers and explain to the passengers further up the road why he appears to be late. But the computer broken down is a different matter. I feel like my hands have been chopped off. Worse still I don’t know what to do except shout, “Help” very loudly and hope. Then I went and did what I do when a bus breaks down, I asked a controller who happens to know a lot more than I do about how computers work and he told me how to fix it and as you can see I have fixed it. Spent most of the day, a day off, doing it but it works again. Got an other day off tomorrow and it is pouring down now and is forecast to continue pouring down tomorrow. However it will be fine on Tuesday when I am back at work.

Just to mention something about buses; the new time tables started today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it running Windows Vista, Windows XP or was it a Macintosh? The last PC I had would NEVER work and was about 8 years out of date when we go our new Macintosh Mini. Never had any major problems with it, ok its crashed several times, but those were powercuts scrambling it a bit and it all works fine now apart from my brothers login as he is refusing to let me fix it for some reason. His problem is that he canot open MS Office directly, he has to open a document with it instead. The only thing I could do is recreate his login account, but he won't let me do it. Oh well!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to bug you but do you have any funnily painted buses saying Cambridge Park And Ride in either green, blue or red? I heard they moved down to devon.

Lord Hutton said...

You are welcome to come and fix my laptop and my pc now you are an expert!

Anonymous said...

I've heard the ex-Park and Ride buses do the 57 out of Torbay. But I don't know whether that's right or not. Some have had their fornts painted "normal" and there are brown ones two - the p&r spare

Anonymous said...

Thanks!
It's always good to know where decent old buses end up going. I have seen some pictures of them with standard livery painted fronts. I also heard that Cambridge got to keep two of them for Citi and P&R spares. They have been painted into normal livery and look very smart, but I don't think they are going to keep their dual doors for long. (A pity- the buses on the route i use could do with an extra set of doors so you don't have to squeeze past all the people leaning against the doors, you can just get out the back!

michaeltvs said...

You describe the exact reason I want to get out of IT support and into something, anything like bus driving, train driving etc. spending half a day to fix a computer that, if it was built like a bus, should take 30 mins tops

David said...

Not an Expert, I just put the recovery disc in and prayed very loudly.
No number 57 make it to Torquay no matter what colour they are painted.
Nor have I seen any Cambridge Park and Ride buses around, sorry.

Anonymous said...

Cambridge Park and Ride on 57 Exeter to Exmouth has like the 12s run every 12mins

Anonymous said...

Exactly the same reason I also bought a Mac, much more realible, especially with my video editing.

The Driving Instructor