Thursday 11 October 2007

A Day Off.


Day off today and the sun was shinning and it was warm and pleasant so I went out with the camera. First stop was Abbey Gardens Beach where there is work going on on the sea wall to prevent Torquay from being washed into Torbay. Now when I was a young child and we went down to the beach we used to build sand castles and defend them, unsuccessfully, from the incoming tide. But we just used buckets and spades. Surely using heavy plant is cheating.
Then on the bus to Brixham. It was full, standing room only all the way to Paignton. But expertly driven. Then there were road works in Churston, going in wasn't too bad the queue of traffic only went back 100 metres. Once we got through the road works I felt sorry for those poor sods going the other way. A couple of kilometres at least. (Sounds longer that a mile and a half.) But I wasn't going back for a few hours. I had a little trip up to Berry Head planned and I needed to catch the number 17 which was a few minutes late fortunately or I would have missed it. It's the first time I have been on a number 17 so I had to ask the driver to give me a shout when we got to the best place for the mile long walk to the headland. Felt like a grokel.
Anyway it was a pleasant walk round with lots of photos, see album on the side bar. Everyone up there seemed to have a dog except me, I'm a cat person but my two cats don't go in for long walks in the country which shows how sensible cats are compared with dogs.
On the way back into Brixham I planned to catch the 17, but didn't quiet get there in time. Got a good photo of it vanishing up the road though. Then a sad little episode, just as I came walking wearily into town I passed a lady standing at a bus stop. She wanted to go up towards Berry Head, as I went past she asked me were there any buses running, as if I should know. I looked at the timetable and decided that the bus was running a few minutes late and given it was 4:30 that was not unusual ( no Comments, please. I don't drive Brixham locals). She had been waiting 20 minutes and was ready to start walking even though it was a long way. I advised against that but of she went. I headed on to Brixham and as I walked round the next bend we all know what turned up. Yep, the number 17; always happens.
Back to work tomorrow.


Some of the almost wild life up on Berry Head.

6 comments:

Plymothian said...

You've changed your livery again! More times than First.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics of Berry Head - I think it's National Trust so hopefully Nick Bye can't try to sell it off! Sylvie.

Anonymous said...

Difficult to tell what the view looks like-all your pictures have disappeared!

Anonymous said...

Now that I can see the pics, and have looked at your album, I can say that you are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country. There was only ever one good view last year in summer-from my bedroom window onto the field behind. It didn't look like the normal view I see at all.

Anonymous said...

When the sun is shining,do the grockles up lamp-posts look like grokels under the shinning leite?

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way, read your comment on my blog, there is nothing wrong with Stagecoach apart from the occasional late bus, would prefer them to first or arriva, planning to work with them when I am of age, look on the comments on inpectorblakey.blogspot.com for the reason. There was a bit of a spat between blakey, me and another blogger who had posted insults on his own blog, due to him moving to Stagecoach. Blogger removed his blog after I flagged it!