Saturday 26 January 2008

A Bit of Fun in Brixham




Today (Saturday) and tomorrow Bolton Cross in Brixham is being dug up and resurfaced so no double deckers can get to the stop on Bank Lane. A small 38 seater is being used to shuttle passengers round the back streets from there to half way up New Road where the number 12 is dropping it's passengers and turning round, picking up a new set of passengers and heading for Paignton, Torquay and Newton. Problem is New Road isn't that wide so we are having to do a right hand reverse into Cudhill Road. I have done this trick once before several years ago when a car coming out of the petrol station hit a car going down New Road. But that was early on a Sunday morning, not on a busy Saturday afternoon made worse by the fact that cars were going down New Road, the drivers then discovering exactly what was written on that small yellow notice at the top of the road they had gone past going too fast to read, doing a turn in the road and coming back up. Also when my 50 passengers got off my bus they had to be sheparded across the road by two controllers down there to oversee the exercise before I could pull over to the right hand side of the road and then reverse in to Cudhill. Then I had to pick up an other 50 passengers waiting for me. What made it slightly worse is there isn't much room in New Road and the bus in front of me was running late for some reason so I had to wait out of the way in a lay by half a mile up the road while that bus did all the things I have just described. For 14 minutes. A fun day in Brixham.






The road works are still on tomorrow but I wont be going anywhere near them as I have a day off and the sun is going to shine (according to the BBC) so I am going to watch Torquay Rugby under tens in the morning and an afternoon taking photos followed by a pint or two, possibly 3.






Rock Walk starts on Monday. More good fun.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

If the Brixham park-and-ride is such a success, why won't the authorities build a tarmac loop in the field and have the 12/12A buses turn around there permanently (with shuttle buses completing the journey)?

I've never been on a 12, or seen one, full past Paignton - so don't really see the point in having them go into Brixham when some Optare Solos (or similar) could work better.

Anonymous said...

im sure it said somewhere that we were not supposed to have anyone on the bus while we reversed. surly the driver of that bus forgot to read it and the revenue inspetor had not noticed the passenger to