Thursday 14 February 2008

Government Web Sites

I came across this web site, a UK Government site that provides a journey planner for the local bus routes. I put in Union Street Torquay to Brixham. Now there is a bus stop in Union Street but the journey planner instructed me to walk to Torre Abbey Sands (where's that?) to catch a bus. What is wrong with using the bus stop in Union Street. Then I tried Fleet Street to Brixham, this time I was told to walk down to the Harbour even thought there is a bus stop for Brixham in Fleet Street. At least the walk down to the Harbour will only take 2 minutes. Union Street to Torre Abbey Sands will take 20 minutes.



The moral of this story is don't believe anything the Government tell you.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I find traveline.org.uk a very good website for journey planning

Gives you maps, walking distances, and incorporates all public transport modes so you don't sit there with millions of timetables trying to match up trains and buses :)

Plymothian said...

Traveline still have the habit of trying to send you on wild goose chases by presenting you with overtly complex journeys.
One journey advised me to alight the bus, walk 10 minutes and wait for the same bus to come around further on on its route!

Anonymous said...

Traveline's not that good either. It tells me to walk for ages to get into my town centre, rather than catch the bus past my house!

Anonymous said...

It was taking you around Rock Walk of course!
LH

Budgie said...

That would be the same government that brought you "Weapons Of Mass Destruction". 'Nuff said!

Unknown said...

Getting off the bus and back on again is logical in the 'mind' of a computer, as you have travelled a shorter distance.

But I'd rather sit on a bus for 5 minutes than walk for 5 minutes.

Hence the 3.5 hour bus ride to Weymouth every now and then over the 3 hour train ride with an hour change at Castle Cary.