Saturday 16 February 2008

Three Killer Weeks.

The end is in sight but so is the sun and that is a long way away. No, seriously more than 1 week, less than two. Three long weeks, actually the first week wasn't too bad. We only had the sea front closed during that week. Then someone in Devon County Council decided to throw not only a very large spanner in the works but the whole tool box as well. St Marychurch Rd, which runs parallel to the main road closed for road works. That doubled running times between Torquay and Newton and when we had got through that gridlock we had to get round town, twice, to avoid Rock Walk. It's been hell. We also have had a few RTCs which closed roads for a few hours and a few minor road works here and there around town notably at Waterside and Churston. I know sometimes road works are of an emergency nature and cannot be put off but I would have thought that all main roads in the Bay area could have been kept clear of obstructions such as road works for the duration of Tree work.

Low ebb today was going down Fleet St heading for Newton. We don't normally go down Fleet St heading for Newton and this being Saturday town was full of people who only make it into Torquay at weekend and were unfamiliar with the situation. 15 people at the bus stop, first two got on, "Paignton". No, you want a bus with Brixham or White Rock on the front. I'm going to Newton. They force their way off the bus past the next two who also say,"Paignton."No, you want a bus with Brixham or White Rock on the front. I'm going to Newton. They force their way off the bus past the next two who also say,"Paignton."No, you want a bus with Brixham or White Rock on the front. I'm going to Newton. They force their way off the bus past the next two who also say,"Paignton."No, you want a bus with Brixham or White Rock on the front. I'm going to Newton. They force their way off the bus past the next two who also say,"Paignton."No, you want a bus with Brixham or White Rock on the front. I'm going to Newton. They force their way off the bus past the next two who also say,"Paignton."No, you want a bus with Brixham or White Rock on the front. I'm going to Newton. They force their way off the bus past the next two who also say,"Paignton."No, you want a bus with Brixham or White Rock on the front. I'm going to Newton. They force their way off the bus past the next two who also say,"Paignton."No, you want a bus with Brixham or White Rock on the front. I'm going to Newton. They force their way off the bus past the next two who also say,"Paignton."

OK. OK. It wasn't quiet like that, I just used copy and paste a few times to save me typing it all out several times. Some of them actually asked for Brixham. Then one got on and asked for Newton. I was so used to saying NO by now I said NO out of habit, then as the passenger turned to get off I realized and called her back.

Next Saturday I am going to bring a loud megaphone, turn it up full and as I stop the bus shout loudly, "I am not going anywhere near Preston, Paignton, The Leisure Centre, Waterside, Broadsands, Churston or Brixham. I am going to Newton" Might work.

The other problem is the part of the diversion that sends us up Sheddon Hill. This adds 5 to 10 minutes to the trip round town and what makes it worse is the knowledge that the X80 (run by FirstBus) that was following me from Paignton has gone up Belgrave Rd and while I wait in the traffic trying to get out of Sheddon Hill onto Abbey Rd is now down on the Harbour reading his newspaper and enjoying a cup of coffee.

Day off Sunday, might go and watch some rugby, take some photos, have a beer or two and spend the evening slumped in front of the telly and an early night. Roll on Summer and easy times.

Actually it wasn't all mad rush all day long. I took this photo while waiting time in Roselands this morning. At 8:56. It was still quiet then.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Spam is annoying. Stop it.

Sidebar: FirstBus put up their prices again.
Can't wait for my visit to Torbay in a week or so. Buses are 60% cheaper.

Lord Hutton said...

Are those two people about to cosh you and steal your camera?

David said...

In Roselands? Things like that don't happen in Roselands do they?

Unknown said...

Well obviously. Haven't you heard about those 'homebase pensioners'? They're the worst!

Somebody needs to do something about those. Da RZLnds Crew as they 'iz' known.

Yes yes.