Monday 21 April 2008

Road Works In Paignton Bus Station



Yesterday, a rest day I went down to Paignton. When I got to the bus station I noticed that it looked a little different. I'm observant like that. The buses usually drive into the bay and reverse out but some resurfacing work is going on so the buses were stopping side on to the bays and driving off. I wondered off for a look round the town and later when I came back I and an other driver were having a chat when we noticed a bus in the same place as the one in the photo was setting off and the driver (name unknown) had not noticed that a big white, brand new National Express bus was just about to drive past him. I had my camera in my hand. Now here is the photographer’s dilemma. Do I put the camera to my eye and capture the moment of metal rending, glass shattering, paint mutilating or do I wave at the driver like mad and save him the chore of exchanging names and addresses with the other driver, running late into Brixham, writing out an accident form and them in a week or two having to go and see the depot manager who would ask him, “How did you manage to not see a blindingly white, 8 foot wide, 12 foot high, 18 tonne National Express bus.” in that voice that depot managers the world over use in these situations?

Well as you can see there isn’t a photo of two buses merged temporarily into one in the middle of Paignton Bus Station so I chose the latter.

The work in the bus station continues today so there could be little bits of confusion and chaos in Paignton today. If you have nothing better to do it could be an interesting show.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Everytime I go to Paignton bus station, each and every bus bay is occupied. How on earth are they managing?

In my opinion, it wouldn't have been a great loss to see a National Express bus get a nice dent in it. Take the train! haha

Lord Hutton said...

I wanted the other photo!

Unknown said...

I have a photo of a firstbus dennis dart which ran out of diesel on the A38....