Saturday 3 May 2008

The Fastest Growing Religion in the World.

Health and Safety.


After 10 years of sitting in the bus cab wondering how to get out at the end of a shift I finally have well written, carefully worded instructions to follow. As you can see I have managed to open the door, gone are the days of having to get on the radio and ask control how to extricate myself from the bus.

This just isn't our company that is caught up in this, how soon before all buses will have to have a notice like the one below placed inside the doorway so stressed out passengers can't sue the bus company because they were unable to find the seats?



Health and Safety departments I'm sure vie with each other to see who can come up with the most ludicrous rules and then meet down the pub afterwards to have a good laugh. Or maybe they are true believers. Which is much worse.

8 comments:

Your driver said...

I doubt you remember this, but I posted something here a while ago. I noticed that you seem to have a lot more trouble around fare collection, while we in the US spend all of our time protecting ourselves and our employers against lawsuits.

I am constantly being advised to speak to passengers using only approved legal code words that can be invoked later in the event of a court appearance.

Anonymous said...

What are the passengers going to do? Film their journeys?

I love Health and Safety. I think I've managed to break pretty much every one of their rules to date

caramaena said...

I had a giggle at our health and safety stuff at work recently. We have Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) posted for all 'chemicals'. That includes our handsoap in the bathrooms. These sheets for the soap recommend wearing gloves to handle the product...

Central User said...

Following a site visit from a union rep (I am not sure they even have any members), we had to have a padlock fitted to the door of our cleaning cupboard. Why? Because cleaning materials are stored in it!

In H&S language "Cleaning Materials" = "Dangerous Chemicals". Obviously we have to be protected from the possibility of consuming or otherwise coming into contact with such dangers, hence the padlock.

Two things: (1) The key is easily and readily accessible to everyone and (2) Our bottles of drinking water are stored in self same cupboard. Call me stupid, but isn't the storage of drinking water next to cleaning materials potentially more dangerous than not locking the door?

Back on topic, you did make up the rule about the sign to the seating area, didn't you? Please say you did.

Anonymous said...

Well they need to make signs to show the way to the First Class section and the buffet area. Still not found those yet :(

David said...

I'd love to say no, but yes the seating area sign came from my imagination and with a little help from Paint.

Anonymous said...

in my last job the office had but one door, which you noticed from day 1. However, h&s still insisted on signing it "fire exit".

Dave said...

Good on you for continuing to blog David. - Dave