Tuesday 10 June 2008

Litter Bin In Fleet Street and Poor Seagull.

I started work down on the Harbour this morning, usually I just walk down there but there was a 34 coming just as I reached the bus stop in Fleet St and the driver stopped and insisted I got on, maybe he didn't know the way down to the Strand. Anyway a bit lower down there was this barrier guarding a small hole in the roadway. What used to be here was a litter bin. It was situated about 6 feet before the 12 bus stop and has to be watched carefully as we approach the stop. You need to get close to it so there is enough room for buses going the other way to get past you. It is one extra item to be keeping an eye on that we could really do with out being so close the bus stop. It isn't the first time it has been hit, last time I believe a delivery trunk did the dirty deed, this time..... well no news has filtered through which might suggest the guilty party might, heaven forbid, be the holder of a PCV Licence. Who ever did it really does not matter. Not to the litter bin which is presently in litter bin hospital. The fact that it has been hit twice would suggest that the Honorable Guild of Litter Bins should, in an attempt to save this poor bin from a third assault, petition the council to have it moved to a place of safely, or at least somewhere safer than this spot. And no where near the 12 bus stop. Please.

Later in the day I went to Teignmouth where I decided, having a few minutes waiting time, to eat my last sandwich. I wasn't all that hungry at lunch time. Anyway I noticed this gull hanging about and while I ate my buttie I ignored him. I've read the notices about feeding seagulls and I have seen visitors on Torquay Harbour throw a chip to a gull and vanish as 50 of his close relatives turn up to join in the feast. It wasn't till I had finished the corned beef delight that I noticed my little friend was limping. He couldn't put his right foot foot down properly, poor lamb. Either that or he was trying for the sympathy vote.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor gull, still i am sure he had more luck elsewhere. How long are your lunch breaks generally? A blog on driving times and breaks would be good. Or point me to an earlier blog that covers it. cheers : )

Dave said...

Yes, I would think they would have moved the bin. Then the lame gull could access it easier. - Dave

ScrumpyJack said...

Nice to see that they've put the bin back in the same place. No blue and red paint on it yet though, but give it time!

David said...

When I get chance I will make a few notes about start, finish and break time so you have an idea of my day. Generally lunch breaks have to be over 30 minutes by law. The longest I have is 55 minutes.