Thursday 17 July 2008

More From The Student World

So there I was, waiting on the Strand out side Debenhams waiting to take over a bus for the 15 minute trip up to Marychurch. There was a bit of a crowd waiting and I had noticed 3 foreign language students standing by the edge of the pavement. They were probably waiting for the same bus as me but while I tend not to wait in the queue I do hope and expect my passengers to do so. When the bus did arrive, a couple of minutes late, these 3 immediately moved forward to try and get on the bus. I directed them to the back of the queue saying, “Join the queue or you don’t get on the bus.” They joined the back of the queue muttering something in French. I tried to get on the bus but there was a female person standing in the way, she was trying to ask the driver something but he directed her to me, explaining that I was now the driver of the bus. The bus was about half full which meant it could easily take the 35 people, including about 20 students, waiting to get on, even the three I had told to join the queue. The female person then told me, she didn’t ask me, that there were some students in the queue who had to get on the bus and she was going to bring then straight on to the bus. “No,” said I. “They can wait in line like everyone else.” The female person then thanked me, sarcastically, telling me I had been a great help. I like to be helpful but not to the point of letting anyone jump the queue, especially as there was no need. Everyone waiting would get on. (Not true as it turned out).

So I sat down and leaned down to get my cash tray out of my bag. When I looked up guess who was back on the platform. Yes, easy guess wasn’t it. The female person. She had 3 of the students in tow. An other guess for you, which 3 students did she have in tow and tried to push down the bus while I wasn’t watching. OK, I’m not going to tell you. You should be able to work it out. Now on my bus persistent queue jumpers get directed to the pavement and told to stand there until the next bus turns up. That way they will be first in line and wont have to queue jump. These three got that treatment as did the female person ( who works for one of the Language Schools). She pretending she was the most important person on the planet and I had to let the students on, so I repeated that they were not travelling on the bus. She had an other go so a third rendition of, "You are not travelling on the bus," was cut short when a local tapped her on the shoulder and said, “I don’t think the driver will change his mind, You may as well get the next bus.” I am not exactly sure what she said to me as she got off the bus as I managed to turn my deaf ear towards her just in time to prevent my delicate sensibilities from being ruined for ever.

10 comments:

Your driver said...

Ha! Very good!

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Dave.

Dave said...

You are a very firm fellow David. :) Yes, sometimes one must take a stand.

Anonymous said...

Company policy for q jumpers?

bo said...

Well done!
I hate queue jumpers, english, foreign or anyone.
Especially that woman.
Get on, I admire your actions :D

Anonymous said...

Nice!
I'm sure those passengers wouldn't want YOU to jump queues and push in.

As a passenger, they would not have managed to get past me

Lord Hutton said...

The French dont queue (ever tried the checkouts at a French supermarket?), but they dont normally have a cheerleader. Good for them to learn some manners.

cogidubnus said...

Excellent!

BristolRE said...

Well done

Roger said...

Nice one, but next time,direct them to the queue right *in front* of the bus. They'll make great hood ornaments, andserveasawarning to others ;)