Wednesday 2 July 2008

Some People Should Turn Away NOW.

There I was walking up Regent Close, that well known wild life jungle just a couple of miles north of down town Torquay and I came across something you don't see every day. You probably don't want to see every day is more to the point. In a month both snails, or maybe just one will lay a 100 eggs which will hatch in 14 days. If only we could breed a type of snail that only eat dandelions, then they would be the gardeners new best friend and they would never go hungry in my back garden.

More on the weather for weekend, wet, wet, wet. So the party could be a washout. Mind you, if you read though the comments in the Herald Express it would appear it has turned out to be, a hoax, a different Torbay, cancelled, an anti climax (bit like the eclipse), only 27 people, all policemen, are going to turn up, a military exercise organised by the Pentagon, a publicity stunt by the holiday industry to put Torbay on the map, Basil Fawlty having a last laugh, etc, etc.

Not much on the bus front today except at the end of my shift when I did something daft. When we get back to the depot at the end of the shift we have a piece of paper that comes out of the ticket machine which tells us how much money we owe the company. We place it carefully in the cash counting machine and what ever is left in the cash tray is our float for the next day. Some times I dump this in the cash machine just to check how my float is doing. Once it has been counted I press reject and I get it back together with a piece of paper telling me what my float is worth in pounds and pence Sterling. Well this evening one of the other drivers was telling a little story and while I was listening I neglected to press the REJECT button. The cash machine, after about a minutes inactivity is programed to take the money and will not give it back no matter how hard you kick the sodding thing.

Anybody got any 5, 10, 20 50 pence and pound coins to spare before 11:25 tomorrow morning.

Help!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

talking while operating/interacting with a machine or a computer rarely ends well. how much float do you usually carry? and how often do you have to put in your money at the end of the day to make up fares that you were shortchanged on or made some kind of error?

Dave said...

Don't you just hate fighting with machines. You can't win you know... - Dave

David said...

We carry £20.00 and I am very careful with cash but even so I am some times a few pence short though never a few pence up.