Friday 4 July 2008

Where To Stop.

On the Harbour side of the Strand there is a long bus stop. No,that isn't a bus stop for long bus, it's just long. providing the new land train isn't there we can get 4 buses on at on go. Some times we need to and some times it just isn't long enough as the photo shows. You can also see Debenhams on the other side of the road.
Anyway, this evening I came down from Teignmouth at about 19:10. During the day this service, the 12A continues on to Paignton and SDC but at this time it ends on the Harbour side and passengers have to change to a 12 from the same stop. I then drive round the block to pick passengers up at Cary Parade and Debenhams for St Marychurch. When I got to the Strand there were no buses on the stop but there was a small crowd (15 not 10 000) waiting for a 12. Now I know they will try and get on the bus thinking it is going on to Paignton even though I have Torquay Harbourside on the front. Who reads destination blinds these days? So do I stop at the back of the bus stop 35 yards from where they are all standing or drive to the front of the stop and explain where I am going next? If, and I have tried this, stop at the back of the bus stop many of them will walk down to the bus and be disappointed when I tell them I am not going anywhere near Paignton. If I drive to the front of the bus stop at least I can save them the walk. So I drive to the front and open the doors to let the passengers on the bus get off. As they are doing so the expectant passengers crowd round and I call loudly, "This bus is not going to Paignton, it's going to St Marychurch. Trust me in this, I am a bus driver. I do know these things." The disappointment, you could have blunted a knife with it. Everyone believed me except one. He held on to the door and told me I was a 12 and the 12 went to Paignton. I pointed out I wasn't a 12, I was a 12A. He repeated what he had said and I repeated what I had just said. He still held on to the door and repeated himself. I didn't I asked him to "Please let go of the door so I can go to St Marychurch." Nothing happened. Vocally he seemed to have run out of ideas but he still held on to the door. I invited him to board the bus if he wanted to but warning him it didn't go to Paignton. Still nothing except the firm grip of the door."Please let go of the door sir, I need to Go." The firm grip continued. I used my best school teacher voice from the old days."Let Go Of The Door So I Can Go." It didn't work then and didn't work now. What did happen is someone at the back of the crowd who hadn't been paying attention, funny how those at the back never do, heard me address this poor gentleman without using the magic work and came running up and in an attempt to rebuke me said in a loud voice, "What he means sir, is 'Please let go of the door'." looking at me pointedly. I've been looked at pointedly by experts and it has little effect on me but the door gripper did let go of the door. By the time he realised and tried to grab it again I had shut the doors and was gone. Round to Debenhams and picked up 70 students, not going to the Beach, it was raining heavily by now and were sensibly going to Kents Caven, out of the rain.

4 comments:

Your driver said...

Two favorite war stories: A passenger asked me if I went down McDowell Boulevard. I told her "no". She said, "Oh you're wrong. Just wait and see. I know this bus goes down McDowell Boulevard." I asked her if she knew that I was steering the bus. She looked at me like I was crazy.

I am often asked if I'm driving the 80 to San Francisco. If I'm heading north I explain that I'm coming from San Francisco. This is a north bound schedule. A surprising number of people say, "No, you're wrong. The 80 goes to San Francisco." Yes, and when it arrives we park the bus and send off to the factory for a new one. Meanwhile the drivers and former passengers wander the streets of the city, knowing that they have left their former lives behind and they can never go back. It's tragic really.

Anonymous said...

70 Students? hope you had your ear plugs in, the noise must have been horrendous

Dave said...

Interesting story David. Glad it ended ok for you. - Dave

Roger said...

heh. You're lucky you don;t drive a bus through a london-based Mental Health hospital - one route I drive does exactly that, and some of the bone things that happen I daren't put into print - and no, I'm not joking - words and deeds won't shift those quite literally mad people!