Sunday 17 August 2008

Abbey Bank (On Line)

I was reading an article about on line banking and identity theft last night. Then this morning I needed to pay a bill so I went on line to our Abbey account. £888.68 was missing. Now a sum like that you would remember spending and neither of us had any recollection of nipping into the local off licence and buying a few bottles of beer to see us over the weekend and we can still get into the kitchen without falling over 30 cases of Tennent's XXXX .

Being Sunday I have not been able to contact Abbey to find out what is going on. But the bill still needed to be paid. Not to worry, I have a second account with Abbey. I keep a few pounds in there for the odd emergency, and this does sound like an odd emergency. Guess what? When I first checked all was as expected. Enough money in the account to pay the bill. So a cup of coffee later I went back to pay the bill and it wouldn't work. Back into the statement and £888.68 has now gone missing. Do I see a patten emerging somewhere?

So if you have an account with Abbey, or any other on line banking, I would check it NOW.

My credit card still seems to be functioning but I haven't tried it in a hole in the wall yet.

I will keep you posted.

No comments: