Thursday 25 September 2008

Big Chair & Lions, Buffalo and a Croc & The Life of Brian

This is the Big Chair, it's 20 feet high and was built by a retired furniture maker. If you want to see it you will have to get to Higher Natsworthy Farm near Widecombe-in-the Moor which is some where on Dartmoor. The story appeared in the local paper a few days ago and has given me inspiration, now I am retired (almost) I shall build a fifty foot high bus on Tor Abbey Green. It will give me something to do when I am not looking for work or riding round for free on our excellent bus service. Sadly Mr Henry Bruce has to take the chair down by next March because he didn't get planning permission before he built it. I have studied local councils all my adult life, so far I have learn several things about them, one of those gems of knowledge being they get really upset if you don't ask first, which is why Torbay Council should be upset with it's self as it didn't ask for planning permission before removing all the trees from Rock Walk, if they did I must have missed those yellow notices they stick up all over the place. Anyway I am not going to make the same mistake and will ask for planning permission before I start building my bus. I will keep you posted.

Next concerns a video on YouTube I heard about. It's called 'Battle at Kruger.' It lasts 8 minutes and is about life in Kruger National Park. Next time the cat brings a struggling mouse in through the cat flap I am going to check for a crocodile coming up the garden path.

And finally years after everyone in Torquay had forgotten the council once banned 'Life of Brian' someone tried to show the film at a festival. What didn't our wonderful council do? Up hold the Ban? Who said yes? What do you think are council consists of? A bunch of reactionary old farts? In 1979 they may have been or had shares in the cinema in the next town but now they are a forward looking progressive group of politicians really hoping the twenty first century might turn up some time, I mean to say we have only just got parking meters here in Torquay. This week. How forward looking is that?

Oh yes, there is a Facebook group called 'Save the Giant's chair on Dartmoor' has 440 members and is growing fast.

Mr Bruce, a former furniture maker, said he hoped the campaign would be successful and is working to renew the planning permission.
He said: "If the chair was being threatened, the more voices to promote it, the better."
Sam Shields, from Plymouth, created the campaign.
His statement on the website said: "Please can you invite your friends and post any pictures you take.
"Lots of locals do not know it is even there, as it is not in any tourist books."
Another poster, Mark Jeffrey, says: "If they can leave the Angel of the North alone then they can leave our chair alone as well."

4 comments:

Dave said...

I wonder if permission was asked to erect Stonehenge? Go ahead with your big bus Dave. Public outcry will save it!! - Dave

Plymothian said...

does that mean you're on facebook?

David said...

I signed up to see if I could find the story about the rave Torquay was supposed to have a couple of months ago. Been back once to see if I could find the story about the chair, failed both times.

Steve said...

There's about 2500 members of the giants chair group now and over 500 people called David Banks throughout Facebook. You have a popular name.