Saturday 13 September 2008

Place Your Bets.

I first heard this story Saturday morning and didn't actually believe it. But now here it is in the paper, if it's true I hope his horse won at extremely long odds. Read on ( from the Herald Express):-

Driver stopped bus 'to place bet' claim

Saturday, September 13, 2008, 10:10

A BUS driver has been suspended after he allegedly pulled his bus over and told passengers to wait ‘a few minutes’ while he disappeared into a Newton Abbot bookmakers.
Mum of one Kerry Williams, claims the driver of the number 77 bus travelling from Buckland to Newton Abbot town centre, pulled the bus over outside Ladbrokes on Queen Street while he placed a bet.
The alleged incident happened at about 9.50am on Saturday.
Stagecoach have since ‘relieved the driver of his duties’ while an investigation into the matter is carried out.
Miss Williams explained she was waiting for her 11-year-old daughter Melanie at Sherborne Road bus station.
The bus was late arriving and I was starting to wonder where it was when I saw my daughter walking towards me.
“She told me that when the bus got to Queen Street, the driver stopped outside of Ladbrokes the bookmakers and told the passengers that he would only be a few minutes. He left the bus and my daughter believed he went into the bookmakers,” Miss Williams claimed.
A Stagecoach spokesman said: “We are carrying out a full and thorough investigation with the driver concerned in order to take appropriate action. The driver has been relieved of his duties as a precautionary measure during the investigation.”

The last time I had a bet on a horse it was called Devon Lock, I lost a week's pocket money and it put me off betting for life.
P.S.
The story even made it to the Sunday Mirror.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"precautionary measure"? what cos he might do it again. i wouldnt think so. hope he is in the union and has a good sick record.

Dave said...

The chances of winning money by betting is inreverse proportion to how badly you need the money, I think. Good for you Dave. - Dave

Anonymous said...

What's happened to your blog - are you alright? I do hope so but wish you well if you are under the weather with sickness.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Iam regularly read your blog and I must say it is superb blog! However Devon Lock should read as Devon Loch. Keep up good work!