Tuesday 11 November 2008

Who Is That Driving a Bus?

Here is a link a driver sent me. Please note drivers are expected to be in full uniform when driving a bus and that, at this time of year does include a company tie. So why is this driver getting away with driving a bus when he clearly isn't, but then again he never wears a tie. Mind you he is probably carrying his cash tray and other essentials in a plastic bag.


What did I do today? I had to do a bit of shopping this morning but it was a nice sunny, almost warm day. The winds of 45 mph predicted for yesterday didn't turn up which was a shame because I was all ready with the camera to speed down to the harbour and film the centre of Torquay being washed away. But it didn't happen. I walked down to the Harbour around 11am and then round to the War Memorial. It is 90 years since the end of the Great War and many people believe the 2 minutes silence should be held on the 11th and not on the nearest Sunday. In common with many people Stagecoach ask their drivers to pull over at 11 and observe the two minutes silence. The photo shows a small crowd at the memorial with a bus in the background stationary. Most cars carried on moving however, but that is what cars do.



After that I had to go home and clear the gutter out. During the heavy rain yesterday I had noticed water running down the wall instead of along the gutter and down the down spout. Poor down spout must have felt neglected. A quick job, ladders out, twenty minutes clearing gutter, cup of coffee while I recover and then out some where. Not a chance. While scooping tonnes of moss out of the gutter I notice a roof tile lying on the flat roof. Maybe it was having a little rest but not in my time thank you. A quick repositioning of the ladders to get up on the flat roof (who ever invented flat roofs should be dug up and given a sound telling off, this one leaked a few years ago and cost me lots of hard earned cash to get it fixed). The tile fixing was an easy job, it wasn't from somewhere out of reach and I did happen to have a flat bit of lead to use as a tie and there was a handy bit of wood to nail a nail into to hold the tie. So two jobs done and still time to go out. While I was up on the roof I did clear the gutter on the neighbours side of the roof. Three jobs done, still time to go out.


Climbing down the ladder I noticed that serious amounts of putty was missing on one of the first floor window frames. Bugger this, I thought, I'm going out. But the ladder was in place and it is hard work to get it in and out of the shed so what the hell. I am out, even if it is only 15 feet above the back garden. I knew I had some putty somewhere, trouble was it was in the shed and was cold and hard and had dried a bit and was really hard work kneading it into the right consistency. While I was up there I had a look round to see if any more putty was about to fall out. Needless to say there was loads. So I haven't been out anywhere, my hands hurt from squeezing tonnes of putty and smell of linseed oil and tomorrow I will have to go back up and paint the new putty or it will all fall out again.


Forecast is for sun, 11C and not much wind so definitely a day out once the painting has been done. Unless I spot something else that needs doing. I shall keep my eyes shut whilst going up and down the ladder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

is he not wearing a uniform 'cos he can't afford one?

If he ever pops up on a number 12, I'll ask him when the fares are going down in response to the decrease in fuel prices...

Lord Hutton said...

Never get a ladder out to look at the house. For a start, you could fall off (I know I do), and then there is all that maintenance you didn't know you had...

Dave said...

All that climbing Dave. You'll tire yourself out! - Dave