Saturday 17 January 2009

Gone Away, Just for a Holiday


Sorry I haven’t been blogging much recently but I am away for a few weeks away from the cold and wet and wind of Southern England. The picture might give you a small clue as to where exactly I am hiding, I can also add that when I got here on Tuesday it was hot 31C, Wednesday was the same but that's why I came half round the world, to get away from the cold. Certainly worked. Yesterday, Friday it was cooler so I went into the nearby City, I am sure the picture clue I gave you will have been far too hard for you to guess where so I will admit it is Sydney. After Small Town Torquay it always comes as a bit of a shock to the system to come out of the train station at The Town Hall and In a couple of minutes watch more traffic pass by then a couple of weeks in beloved Torquay. As you can see Woolworth’s is still going strong here.
To day I also went into Sydney to see one of my nieces and her partner. It was overcast and I made a mistake I don’t usually make when in Australia, I didn’t take a hat and now the top of my head is glowing like a nuclear reactor 5 seconds before melt down. When your hair is as rare as mine that is not something to easily contemplate.

A couple of weeks before I came there had been a TV program about Arther Stace, a homeless man who wandered round Sydney writing the word Eternity in beautiful copperplate script on walls and pavements, this was pre graffiti days and he did only use chalk. The Sydney City Fathers celebrated this gentleman’s achievement by displaying Eternity on the Harbour Bridge for the 2000th New Year’s Day fireworks. I mentioned this to my niece and she told me about a site containing over 1300 photos taken by 90 year old Alan Waddel in which he walked round ever street in every suburb of Sydney taking the photos. An impressive collection. View it here.

More in a few days.

5 comments:

Steve said...

That doco is actually being screened on the ABC tonight in Brisbane.

bo said...

very nice!
I went to Perth, WA myself in July, and after it being my first time there, I wasn't aware ow Woolworths was a supermarket until we went in there.

Dave said...

Re-Woolworths, I think the Australian and NZ company are not associated with the UK one, and here are only supermarkets. Enjoy Sydney Dave.

David said...

Thanks for the info Steve, I managed to catch the show this time round.

Lord Hutton said...

You're there again! Bloody hell, sport!