Friday 2 January 2009

An Other New Year

Well an other New Year. They seem to speed by these days, it hardly seems like yesterday it was 2000 and we were all recovering from the Millennium Bug, what ever that was. Been cold here so no long bus rides out for a while. In fact I am beginning to realise that even though not working is much nicer than working, it isn't as interesting, well not to the readers of this or any blog. I mean the 3 photos below show the most interesting events of the last few days. The top one is an electric plug I received through the post. For free, I am not exactly sure who sent it but I do remember receiving some long life, cheap to run light bulbs, also free from some company who were giving then away in an attempt to turn us all green. I imagine the government is behind it but even those details are hazy. I do remember filling in a form for the plug but that was weeks ago and I can not remember who I sent it to. Anyway, what it does is when I switch the computer off the plug also switches off the other bits and pieces that run with the computer, the printer, the monitor, the transformer that runs the loudspeakers and the modem. All to save the eccentricity (and electricity) I could save by getting down on my knees and switching the plug off at the mains. Something I never did. The big advantage is the switching off the modem. In the past I used to leave it running and sometimes when I switched the computer on the modem didn't work and I had to spent time unplugging it, waiting a couple of minutes before plugging it back in when it would work. There's a technical term for this, it's called 'giving it a good kicking'. Now this plug does the job for me and the moden always works. (So far anyway). Thank you e-on.

PS. You can buy one of these plugs for about £14.50 on the internet.

Next most exciting thing turns up on the photo below. It's of a notice stuck on a phone box down in the Harbour in which Sue is asking Barry Marchant to phone her. This notice is stuck up all round the town centre. So Barry Marchant, if you are reading this, please ring Sue and Sue, in the interest of reducing fly posting in Torquay, if Barry has indeed rung you could you take the notices down please. And in the interest of curiosity could you replace it with an other notice explaining why you need Barry to ring you, we are all agog.



The last photo was taken at the bottom of Fleet Street on New Years Day, on the morning of New Years Eve I walked down to the harbour and this shop looked just like some of the shops here in Torquay, I can't say all because about a third of the shops here seem to have "Closing Down 50% Off" Signs in the window. This one just had windows. Not any more. But it was New Years Eve and it isn't really New Years Eve unless at least one shop window gets kicked in.


I do hope 2009 is a good year for all of us.

3 comments:

Steve said...

We've got a similar plug to yours, but ours is called an Ecoman. It has the TV, VCR and stereo plugged in and can be turned back on using the remote from any of them.

VO said...

Happy new year Dave :D

Regards,

Matt

Lord Hutton said...

I have one of those e-on plugs. Great thing.
And yes, Torquay, among many other town centres, is looking a bit stressed, retail-wise