Saturday 30 May 2009

More Antony Gormley


A prime site.





While I am up north I thought I would have a look at some of Antony Gormley’s work before the forthcoming attraction at Torre Abbey this summer. Newcastle was a bit too far to see the Angle of the North so a shorter trip to the sands at Crosby to see the statues on the beach, aka Another Place. A hundred slightly larger than life figures stand looking out to sea. Once there wasn’t much actually to see looking out, just water getting closer, covering one and not quiet reaching another. Now a wind farm has been added so they have something to look at. Also my brother’s dog scent marked each one which must have been disconcerting. Stand there naked all day, and get covered with sea water and dog pee.

Not the best spot on the block.



They are all far apart and look a little lonely, personally I would like to have seen few small groups of them here and there. Interesting all the same. I’m tempted to re open my attempt to build a 50 foot high replica of a double decker bus on the beach at Torre Abbey Sands. The last attempt got absolutely nowhere. One or two bits of interest but that was all.


"Oh look, a wind farm."

2 comments:

Lord Hutton said...

They are truly fantastic (although I am not sure I could sleep on the beach)

cogidubnus said...

There's a lot of modern "art" around that I really can't see the point of, but I really love those Antony Gormley statues...