Thursday 11 June 2009

My Cats and Abbey Bank

Cats are a pain to photograph. These two were having a little sleep in the sun so I got the camera to take a photo of then lying next to each other, to show how well they got on together. The moment I pointed the camera Ginger stood up and walked away. Must think it is an affront to his cat rights to have his photo taken. I took it any way.
The second photo that looks like a couple of important but discarded letters after they have been through a shredder. I don't have a shredder because most bills I get these days, ones that contain details that certain sections of society would grub through waste bins to find, come online. But these don't. They are our bank statements. Even though I and my partner bank on line and can check the contents of our joint account 60/60/24/365 for up to the second information, Abbey send us two statements every month even though they are identical and are several days out of date by the time we get them, we have asked then to stop sending the statements as they cost money to send and the paper ends up either in a landfill site or recycled into toilet paper. I did email Abbey and they sent an automatic response saying Thank you for your email we will reply in due course. They never did. I tried phoning. I was told that there was a legal requirement to send paper statements and there was nothing I could do to stop the bloody things turning up every month. If one of the largest bank outfits in the world won't get the government to scrape this legal requirement and save paper and postage and help save the world why should I bother.

5 comments:

Joe said...

Intelligent Finance do optional online statements without sending out paper duplicates.

Anonymous said...

I bank with Natwest and they have a system where a customer can chooose not to recieve paper statements and only online ones. Very quick and easy to make the switch to paperless with Natwest as well.

Central User said...

My bank will not stop sending statements completely. However they are happy to send them only once a year.

Not the ideal solution, but I reckon it must save something somewhere!

Anonymous said...

There's only a requirement to send them where you're paying interest on an overdraft. Apart from that, they're telling porkies. Nationwide also allow you to opt out of paper statements (apart from months where the overdraft exception applies).

Anonymous said...

As others have said - the people at Abbey (soon to be Santander) are telling porkies about the legality (unless you are overdrawn and paying interest); in which case, I could recommend First Direct where you get an automatic interest free overdraft of £250 per month. My only connection with FD is as a customer who makes frequent use of the free overdraft facility.

If you decide to stay with Abbey you could always recycle the statements in the compost bin/heap, or shred then dig them into the borders/veg patch.