Thursday 23 July 2009

Brixham and Coach Driving

I had a day out in Brixham today. I always enjoy Brixham but it is a 40 minute trip on the bus. When you are driving the time goes much quicker than for the passengers. I think so anyway. 40 minutes is a long time just staring out the window even with the iPod for entertainment. Then when you get there all you want to do is get of the bus. Particularly today, it was sunny and warm for a change but the heating was on full blast on the bus and it it became a bit uncomfortable. It isn't the drivers fault, in a car if it gets too hot you turn a dial and the temperature goes down. On the bus the driver gets on the radio and asks for an approved person to come out to the bus and lift the engine flap and turn a tap on the engine. Then the heater continues to pump out hot air for an other 15 or 20 minutes before the bus begins to cool down. The driver can not open the engine flap because when the buses were fairly new a driver decided to turn the heat off. He managed to open the flat and turn the tap but couldn't close the flap again because no one had told him how. So he used brute force and the engine flap fell off and a notice went up saying drivers were not to open engine flaps ever again.

So when we got to Brixham this afternoon all we, the passengers, wanted to do was get off the bus and breath in a few lung fulls of clean fresh Devon air. Could we? No. The bus couldn't get to the stop because a coach had stopped on the bus stop to let some passengers disembark so they can have a wander round the town and spend loads of money in the pubs, chip shops and gift emporiums.
Eventually we got of and staggered down to the Harbour. This is the Harbour. How come the tide always seems to be out when I decide to go to Brixham?
Oh yes, one other thing, a week or so ago I saw an advert for a part time coach driver and I applied for the job. Yesterday I went down to the hotel for a test drive, just to see if I can actually drive a coach. Well I can and I am just waiting for a phone call to tell me if I have got the job. If I do get it I promise never to park the coach on the bus stop at Brixham Bank Lane. Torquay Strand, well that's a different kettle of fish completely.

3 comments:

Dave from Leicestershire said...

Good luck with the job aplication, Dave.

retired driver Peter said...

Let us all hope you get the job, then we can once more look forward to a true record of what real driving is all about. just make sure you are out of the driving seat before you take the camera out.

cogidubnus said...

Yes, good luck Dave