Friday 3 July 2009

Not Tony Gormley

I visited the exhibition at The Spanish Barn, 40000 clay things all looking at you the viewer. Main problem, there was an eagle eyed member of the Abbey staff standing there to make sure you didn't either nick a souvenir, ie one of the little things with the staring eyes or worse, much worse in the Arts Council's eyes, take a photo. I think I mentioned eyes a couple or three times there.
So I went to the Living Coast down on Torquay Harbour and shot this instead. They lack the eyes and the rugged looks and the individuality of the collection in the Spanish Barn and are never likely to go on a World Tour. But when all's said and done a photograph is a photograph. I was tempted to paint eyes on these tiny penguins but decided it would be too much trouble.

Also down in the Harbour was this. It is just a little bit bigger than the penguins and considerably bigger than the yachts and ferries we usually get in Torquay Harbour.

No comments: