Tuesday 27 September 2005


This is me, yellow jacket and all. Now for 7 years we walked round the bus park completely unharmed by the fact that we didn't have yellow jackets. Then health and safety turned up and overnight we all got yellow jackets to be worn in all areas where buses run. Now I have a problem with this. It takes the safety issue away from the driver of the vehicle and the pedestrian.

In the old days, before Health and Safety became the new Political Correctness, people walking in the bus park watched out for moving buses and kept out of their way. Drivers in the bus park, highly trained and skilled in handling large buses, kept watch for pedestrians and tried not to run them down. Now, the driver believes it is safe because the pedestrian will be wearing yellow and be easy to see and the pedestrian feels he is protected from harm by a millimeter thick piece of yellow cloth. We do have a speed limit in the bus park of 5 mph and buses make quiet a lot of noise so I would have to be blind and deaf to get hit by a bus driven by a blind bus driver. What ever I have said about the company doing daft things in the past I do not believe that they are mad enough to employ blind, deaf bus drivers.

My other problem with these jackets is that the company spent hundreds of thousands of pounds buying us all smart (their word) uniforms. Now you see drivers hanging around the office, in the canteen, driving their buses and for all I know sitting at home watching TV and going to bed wearing their yellow things and it does not improve our image one little bit.

So now you will see me as in photo when I have to according to company rules. But never driving a bus, in the canteen, down the pub, sitting in front of this computer or any of the other places I have mentioned.

I have suggested that I be the control in this experiment, if I don't wear a jacket and don't get run down then the company will know that the £100 000 they spent on all these jackets would have been wasted. If I do get run down then they could say, "Careless bastard."

No comments: