Thursday 28 September 2006

Cockington

Cockington Forge

Cockington Village is one of Torbay's many attractions and to day in the interest of customer care I paid the place a visit. It dates back to and was mentioned in the Doomsday Book and is a small village that has retained thatched roofs and old world charm. Click here to read what BBC Radio Devon has to say about the place.

When I first arrived in Torquay and started driving a bus the driver who showed me the 12 route on my first day pointed out Cockington Lane and mentioned that Cockington Village was down that way. I had never heard of Cockington but soon realised that it was a place of interest when holiday people began asking me if we went there. The roads are a bit to small for double decker buses but I was able to tell them that they could either catch a mini bus which did nothing but run between Torquay and Cockington from outside the Pravilion or they could catch the 12/12A and get of at the Livermead Cliff Hotel and it was but short walk. For the first couple of years I must have told hundreds of passengers it was 10 minutes. Then one day I took a couple and droped them of at the end of the lane."It's up that lane, about 10 minutes." I said as I pointed at Cockington Lane.

About three hours later I picked them up on the way back to Torquay and he told me off and explained it was more like 20 minutes. So I now know it is about 20, or even 30 if you dont hurry. It is a nice walk reasonably flat and tree lined with birds singing in the trees with the occasional bench if, like me a rest is required. So to all those people I misled I am sorry, but I am sure you all enjoyed the trip to Cockington.




No comments: