Thursday 2 November 2006

Back On Line

My computer, like most, went wrong the other day. I switched it off and it refused to restart. I rang support and they said to use the recovery disc I made when the computer was brand new but I would loose all my files and all the drivers I had installed. So I asked Ian at work to have a look and though I have lost some drivers all the files are still there. Big Thank You to Ian.

Back to work. Halloween, that well know and much hated American import has come and gone. When I was young enough to remember rationing after the war (WW2) we did not have Halloween, probably because the main way Halloween is celebrated in this country seems to be a license to knock on peoples' door and mug them. While the celebrants get tired of that the next step is to go round throwing eggs at moving vehicles, buses by choice as they are bigger and therefore easier to hit. I think when I was younger we put eggs to a good use; we ate them. Anyway as you can see from the picture the result of egg throwing at bus windows. Me I would like to throw buses at the egg throwers. In case you don't know, as soon as egg drys it becomes as hard to get off as it is hard to get off nicotine. And that isn't easy I can tell you.

As the sun got brighter it became harder and harder to see through the mess until the point was reached when the bus had to be taken off the road which meant a 15 minute delay for 65 passengers. Caused by a 15 second thrill for a couple of kids. Thank you America.

4 comments:

Steve said...

You've really got to wonder about the mentality of someone that would throw things at a moving bus, considering the potential for a serious accident.

My oldest step-daughter was working as a parking inspector a year or two ago and she was egged at least once. Luckily they missed as she's only a little target, but to me that's assault.

Anonymous said...

Most Americans believe that Halloween came here from Britain. In this country the bad behavior takes place the day before Halloween, and only in some parts of the country. The idea behind the shouts of "Trick or Treat", was that if kids weren't given a treat, they would "trick" your household with mildly antisocial pranks. I remember being deliriously happy as a child, ringing people's doorbells and running away, or drawing on their windows with a bar of soap. Our parents knew what we were doing, but they usually threatened us with dire punishments if we were caught. We, in turn would swear that we were just going out to the library.
While it used to annoy the hell out of some of the adults, it was all very innocent and ritualized merry making. America is a country that doesn't have very many traditions, and I looked forward to that one. Sorry it has been taken as a license for mild hooliganism in the UK, but don't blame it on us.
I promise not to blame you for all of the phony "Celts" who fill the American airwaves with dreadful "authentic British folk music."

The Captain said...

"Halloween" is not an American import although the way it is used and a fancy dress party is. It is supposed to be a time to

"honour the dead, not as the dead, but as the living spirits of loved ones and as guardians who hold the wisdom of mankind. It is a celebration of the afterlife where we do not die but rest and continue to learn and prepare for our next incarnation."

I don't think it was intended as a time for kids to don black bin liners and collect as many sweets as possible.

Anonymous said...

Yeah right blame us Americans for everything, its so trendy. Believe it or not there are plenty of us who DONT celebrate Halloween and in our town there is an 8p curfew forr the kids who do. Trick or Treat after 8 and get a free ride home in a cop car. The celebration of All Hallows Eve actually pre-dates our existenceas a nation so we are not to blame.