Tuesday 31 July 2007

All Hell Let Loose

For me all hell being let loose can mean quiet a few things but today it was small children crying. First, on the way to Newton mother and baby in buggy got on at Castle Circus in Torquay and showed a megarider. No problem normally with megariders, which are all day tickets valid along the whole of the 12/12A route and cost £4.00. However the baby started crying even before I set off (so it couldn't have been my driving). The crying had that hard, mournful sound that you just know will go on for the complete journey and stop the instance the child leaves the bus. But because mother, the baby's mother, not mine, had used a megarider I had no idea when the child would leave the bus. Could be one stop, could, knowing my luck be the last stop. Yeah, you're right. The last stop.

On the way back from Newton similar mother with buggy and 4 year old child who just had to press the bell. Mother didn't seem to notice he was playing Beethoven's Fifth Piano concerto using the bus's bells instead of a piano. So I stopped at the next stop and opened the doors and invited who ever rang the bell to get off. No takers. Bell went again so I stopped at the next stop and opened the doors. No one got of. So I pointed out that there were 87 stops between here and Brixham and if we had to stop at every stop we might get there by midnight. Mother took the hint and told the little child not to practise his music lessons on the bus. Then baby started crying. Again I had no idea how far they were going a mother had shown me a megarider. All the way to Paignton. Just under an hour. Cry for 5 minutes, rest for a minute, cry for 5 more minutes. When I got to Brixham I had 7 minutes before I had to leave, I told the waiting passengers they would have to wait a few more minutes while I went and found a brick wall to bang my head against a few times just to relieve the pain.

1 comment:

Al said...

I wouldn't have wanted to be you.

There is nothing worse than crying children in an enclosed space.