Wednesday 8 August 2007

Can I get past this stop before the passenger arrives?

There I was in heavy, slow moving traffic between Cherry Brook and Windy Corner heading for Brixham. There are a few thick hedges along this stretch and 40 yards in front of me there was the person, male, standing facing the hedge. The most polite way I can describe what he was doing is, well he was emptying his bladder. I full view of all the traffic which was by now doing 5 miles per hour. No, it hadn't all slowed down to see what he was doing, it had slowed down to avoid hitting the vehicles in front.

He had finished by the time I reached him but then he looked round, after he had done himself up, and spotted the bus. Well it is 14 feet high and 8 feet wide. Now there is a bus stop an other 50 yards down the road and the man, now with an empty bladder started running towards the bus stop. Now I know that a small minority of passengers who get on a bus have probably not washed their hands after going to the loo but to have it demonstrated right in front of one's face liker this is a slightly different matter. I looked at the traffic ahead and contemplated pulling out and overtaking the cars in front of me but after that I would have no were to go. Would I get to the stop first and be able to keep going. Not a chance. He got to the stop well before me. Oh God, he's going to put his hand, that hand in his pocket, pull out a hand full of change and demand a single to Brixham.

Salvation. When I was 3 or 4 cars from the stop a car door opened and some one shouted, "Bill, do you want a lift?" Bill did and got in the car. I drove into Brixham whistling a happy tune.

No comments: