Wednesday 12 December 2007

Churston Grammar School

On Tuesday I wrote a post concerning the children from Churston Grammar School. Let me make it clear, the boys and girls from this school were not misbehaving at all. What they were doing was talking and when 65 people are talking in the space the size of a double decker bus it does tend to be a bit noisy. Sorry about that but if you want silence try a Trappist Monastery. Still that was Tuesday and on Wednesday I did the same duty and drove down to Churston determined to try and maintain silence throughout the journey to Brixham. Well the journey was covered in, well not exact silence but it was very much quieter than the day before. Had the headmaster seen my blog and read the riot act to the children about upholding the honour of the school? Had me standing at the front of the bus demanding silence or else worked? Had the cat got their tongues? No; it was much simpler than that. The bus in front had been running a bit late and had picked all most all of the children and when I got there only 3 of the little darlings boarded the bus. Nice.

5 comments:

Your driver said...

I had a school run a couple of years ago. The kids shrieked screamed and cursed for most of the ride. I figured I'd have to do something the next day. Then, at the end of the line, a group of the shrieking, screaming, cursing little girls came up to the front of the bus with an armload of garbage and said, "Bus driver, there was a mess in the back of the bus so we cleaned it up. OK if we put it in your trash can?"

The next day, the same group talked quietly among themselves. Then I realized that there were a couple of little old ladies on the bus.

After that I let them scream all they wanted, so long as it was just kids on the bus. Any time there were adults, especially LOL's they were polite and quiet.

I should add that these were mostly Black and Latin kids from a housing project. I believe they're called Council Flats in the UK.

What a great bunch of kids.

Lord Hutton said...

I often share the train with Torquay Grammar School kids. They are very noisy, but rarely actually misbehave.

cogidubnus said...

Yes, in my experience there are some and some - often the noisiest ones are the better behaviour-wise - the quiet ones are the ones setting fire to upholstery, ripping out seats to sling out the emergency exit, or planning a mass spit-in on the unfortunate driver...

Having said that, and as David observes, some drivers court trouble by demanding unreasonable standards...I am reminded of an old-maidenly former colleague (male, but closet queen-mother) whose standee-RE was nearly overturned on an early 1980s college run by 6o+ students swinging in unison from the grabrails...he explained primly through pursed lips that he'd only cautioned (lectured) them on keeping quiet... hmmm

David said...

hi jon
noise I can stand, after all I used to be a school teacher some years ago.

Anonymous said...

This blog is definitely wonderful, truly worth reading through