Sunday 20 April 2008

Attempting to Over Ride

Yesterday morning started badly. I had a slightly earlier start than usual, 08:01 so the alarm clock was set for 07:01 so I could be out at 07:40 to catch a bus at 07:45. The alarm went off at it's appointed time but I didn't wake up. Now I have two cats, one is dead clever, knows exactly what the alarm going of means; fed in 10 minutes. If I don't wake up he puts his nose in my ear and sneezes. Having your ear syringed by the cat is enough to wake all but the dead. The other cat is too much of a gentleman to spread cat germs all over my ear drum and, more to the point doesn't know the alarm means food. Normally the cats aren't allowed in the bedroom but one had got in during the night when I went to the loo. So when the alarm went off and I didn't stir which cat would I want sleeping on the bed? Right, the clever sod. Which one was sleeping on the bed? Right, the other one. I finally woke at 07:35. I got to the bus stop 11 seconds before the bus arrived, close. I was almost late for the second time in ten years.

So I was a bit grumpy when I got to work. So I went up to the canteen to get a cup of coffee from the machine. 35p a cup, I only had a pound coin in my pocket but the machine gives change. It did give change but only 5p. 95p for a cup of coffee. I desperately needed something to cheer me up and that some thing arrived at Manor Corner in the shape of 6 teenagers. First one asked for a child single to Brixham as did the second. The next 3 had passes and the last asked for a child single to Paignton Bus Station. Now these 6 were all together so the last one asking for a ticket only as far as Paignton, 90p less stuck in the memory. And as you might guess none of the boys got of when I got to Paignton. Big smile on face, I went upstairs and looked at the holder of the Paignton ticket and said,"This is Paignton Bus Station. If you want to go further you have to pay more." When he got off and walked away there was the warm glow of a job well done.

The day looked distinctly brighter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know in torqay bus Garage what time does the first bus go out .adam

Lord Hutton said...

haha little sod. Well done. Cats are rubbish at alarms. Ours are 4.45 or nothing.

David said...

Adam, the first number 12 starts from the depot at 05:46 and goes to Newton. I don't think there is an earlier bus than this but I don't normally start that early so I am not sure. I will let you know if there is.

David said...

Andy, I got my own back, I was in such a rush to get out and catch my bus I didn't feed either of the cats.

Unknown said...

There was a strange cat in my kitchen this morning, demanding feeding. I gave it five stars for effort. However, my cat is black and this one is ginger - not so convincing.

I may suggest that if you have a mobile, you use the alarm feature on that, as you can set multiple alarms - and most of the time you have enough effort looking for it when it does go off.

Or, how about this interesting little alarm clock