Thursday 31 July 2008

Story Three, Teignmouth Parking and Engine Running

This is the bus I took to Teignmouth in Story Two. Parked on the Seaview Diner stop. Even though I took great care to get as close to the curb as possible the stop just isn't long enough to get completely in the bay. I could have got closer by swinging further over the pavement but that would have meant demolishing the bus shelter. As I have already in my time with the company wrecked one bus shelter I decided against this probable downward career move. And this bus is only 29 feet long, the double decker that I showed last week is 34 feet long and even harder to get on the bus stop without the back end sticking out.

Normally I don't wait time here, preferring to go and park on the sea front for 15 minutes so I don't clog up Teignmouth, other buses use this stop, both Stagecoach and Country Buses so it can get crowded. But today as I drove round to the sea front there was a number 2 in front of me. The number 2 also stopped on the sea front and the driver had got out of his cab and was having a cigarette. But his engine was still running. I didn't want to sit and listen to a bus engine running for 15 minutes so I drove back round and stopped on the Seaview Diner stop for a bit of peace and quiet.

5 comments:

Lord Hutton said...

I hate it when people leave their engines running: my mother lives by a level crossing, and the number of people who leave their engines while waiting up to 10 minutes is unbelievable.

David said...

I get a bit, well a lot really,annoyed when engines are left running but so far I have never gone up to a driver and requested him/her to switch the bloody thing off. I was going to add; all for a quiet life but it isn't quiet when a bus engine is thumping away needlessly 10 feet from the ears.

David said...

Any bus driver out there who leaves his/her engine running like to tell me why?

Anonymous said...

The only time I left my engine running it was because either :
a) It was freezing bloody cold out and I like to be able to feel my toes and fingers.
or
b) I was driving one of those buses you KNOW won't start if you stop the engine. You know the ones.....

Anonymous said...

Over here in Thanet, we are told that if we are going to be waiting more than 2 minutes then we have to turn our engines off, mainly as a result of public complaints.