Monday 29 January 2007

Werther's Original (Continued)

A couple of days ago I posted a photo of a small packet of Werther's Original Chewy Toffee with the cat looking at them and trying to decide if he could eat them. They were given to me by a passenger, perhaps she thought I needed fattening up or may be she believed I needed a reward for being such a nice person. Now I like toffee, especially Werther's but the last time I was given some, a different passenger I might add, I lost a filling that I had had for over 40 years and there are others just as old that I would like to keep. So what to do will this packet of delicious toffee?

Years ago, in an attempt to increase sale some newspaper or other, I think it was the Mirror, used to publish a picture of an employer who would then wander about the streets of a holiday resort with a pocket full of Five Pound Notes. This was back in the days when £5 was a lot of money. (What am I saying. £5 is still a lot of money.) All you had to do to get a fiver was have a copy of the paper and walk up to the man and say, "You are Lobby Ludd, and give me my fiver."

So I have decided to copy the Mirror give the Werther's away to the first person who gets on the bus and admits to reading this blog and thinks my cat is sweet.

Please note there is only one packet so don't be disappointed if it has gone.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cat is sweet and I already have two broken teeth. Both from old fillings that finally gave out. For some reason, we have a saying that you should never eat "passenger food". Passengers are always pressing odd bits of food on bus drivers. We usually thank them profusely, put the food aside and throw it away later. There's a story that one of the servicers ate some passenger food and got really sick, but who knows where that came from? Well, now I can say that there was a bus driver in England who ate some passenger food and broke a tooth.

Thanks for your comment at my blog. I've cleared it and it's posted. I can't do anything about the spam thing. It claims that every comment is spam and won't post them until I ok them. Technology.

Plymothian said...

If I get back to Torbay and get on your bus only to find you've forgotten the Werthers, I'll be most disappointed (again).

JohnB said...

Hi David, while I am a regular reader...I wanted to ask you a question that is sort of off subject: do you know anything about Mummers plays? I am interested in anything you can tell me from a research point of view. If you know anything, you can email me at 'phantomfears@gmail.com'. Thanks!

-JohnB

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask you if you ever got a passenger getting on your bus and mentioning they read your blog... it shouldn't be too hard to track you down from the info you give here

Anonymous said...

sorry but sweet isn't a word i'd use. he's a seriously gorgeous cat, but sweet he ain't. Please, think of the cat here. He's a well decent chunk of feline, a proper mog!

Anonymous said...

Your cat is far from sweet and I only log on to look at the pictures... I can't stand Werthers either (which is possibly just as well)...

I do, however, have a number of dislodged and semi-present fillings, a few gaps in the teeth, plus receding gums, and have also (due to the poverty of my bus-industry wages) given up on the dentist...

When my teesh vinally dishabeer jhou you fink I gan lame ish on doo many pashenger shweeties?

David said...

A couple of answers, I have had about 8 or 9 passengers who have mentioned the blog, not counting other drivers. And yes the cat isn't 'sweet' but I like him. Food from passengers is usually sweets in a packet which should be OK and there is a lady who gets on in Newton who gives us fruit, I, for some reason always seem to get an orange. I don't like oranges but I haven't the heart to tell her and I pass it on to the first driver who wants it.

Anonymous said...

Don't you realise that if your cat was twice it's size it wouldn't be the Werthers it would be eyeing up for breakfast but YOU.